Thread: Crunchyroll Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 18:54   Link #208
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

Before the new season really gets going and this show fades into obscurity. I'd like to give my final thoughts about Milky Holmes.

This is the absolute funniest anime I've seen in years. I've been watching anime for 10 years and would consider this to be one of the best comedy animes of all time next to the likes of Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and Galaxy Angel Season 3. No show in the past 5 years has comes close to the executing slapstick comedy like those as well as this one, with the exception of possibly Minami-ke season 1. This show excels with its comedy in various ways - great set ups, great visual gags, great running gags, great punchlines, but most important of all - great characters. The show certainly didn't lack in the joke department. The jokes were presented in a fast, hardhitting way, without ever overextending their stay. Much of the show's charm comes from not taking itself too seriously. Many were a time where things would be so over the top and with the characters acting so serious, I couldn't stop myself from laughing. And while many would consider the animation to be one something the show lacks, I found it to be one of the shows greatest assets. The animation was an instrumental part in the visual gags, especially the freedom to allow the characters to make hilarious faces to really bring out their emotions.

Another thing this show excelled at was the voice acting. I can't see anyone doing what Sheryl's voice actress did, Sheryl's voice actress killed it. Cordelia's voice actress was absolutely amazing when her character really needed to stand out. Kokoro's and Twenty's VA's are definitely notable for their splendid performance. While those characters definitely stood out the most in the voice acting department, the rest of the cast played their roles absolutely perfectly.

I also applaud the show's efforts to tie every plot point from each episode together up to the final battle. Most animes end in a horrible horrible way, which is quite the pet peeve of mine. This one did not.

So thank you Milky Holmes for proving that modern day animes can provide me with comedic brilliance without having to resort to desperate fanservice or perverted jokes. I'd go almost as far as to say that this show is a milestone in that regard. I look forward to a season two.
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote