View Single Post
Old 2012-05-14, 01:45   Link #1006
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I know it was a post from another thread, but Sunrise pretty regularly cracks the 20K+ barrier in BD/DVD sales. Practically every other season it feels of late, but then they're enormously huge and have access to what might as well be an unlimited source of capital and advertising venues compared to other studios so it's not exactly surprising. I think achieved it simultaneously with Gundam 00 and Code Geass as well.
Depends on how you define simultaneous. DVD/Bluray releases for 00 and Geass overlapped at times sometimes overlapped by a month or two despite the fact the airings did not.

Quote:
As for expansion talk, why Kyoani doesn't expand it's operation already though is beyond me. They don't need to have like 8 different studio buildings like Sunrise or whatever, but they can at least follow their example and maybe divide themselves up into distinct teams to try and hone their craft and generate ideas in more focused groups AND maybe have some more diversity in the types of shows they produce as a result if they ever start thinking about trying to branch out more from the hardcore moe crowd.
I have a hunch that Kyoto's strategy is something along the lines of "a lot more people will watch one moe show than many, and we're going to make that show." Far from just being the "hardcore moe crowd", the most notable thing about Kyoto's fanbase in my experience is how many people in it either don't watch many moe shows or were introduced to moe through Kyoto work. To that end, I don't think their strategy is "expand our lineup" so much as "strengthen our brand" (along with grow the moe market - the impression I've gotten is that Kyoto's original material for K-On! relies a lot less on otaku tropes than the source material, for example). It's not lost on me that Hyouka very much recalls the strengths of Kyoto's collaborations with Key (a very, very positive connotation for many) and that they're going to be taking another crack at an original project once Hyouka is done.

Quote:
They could also consider going public or perhaps seeking a merger with Kadokawa since it almost seems like they work with them already.
I'm not sure how much I'd want to see a Kadokawa merger, many of the fan favourites involved Pony Canyon and not Kadokawa. Kyoto-Pony Canyon has yet to produce a show that sells under 18K - can't say that about Kyoto-Kadokawa.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.