View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 04:14   Link #327
Blaat

Ignoring the base has its advantages as well e.g. no sectoid commanders in crash/landed UFO missions, they're definitely harder than outsiders.
And you can ignore mission related research as long as possible: not getting arc weapons or building a interrogation facility. This saves money early game and some time on certain researches as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I was thinking of skipping beam weapons and try to go straight to plasma but now I'm having second thoughts....
I get it why people say you can skip beam weapons I really do but I think they're ignoring the costs of plasma weapons, the time to research them and the fact you need to research an extras step before you get to rifles, sniper and heavy plasma weapons.
I think you can skip beam weapons on lower difficulty or when you're save scumming but on higher difficulties and ironman beam weapons are nice to have and make difference for early/mid game.

On the other hand beam pistols can be skipped. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
-Enemies suddenly pop out of no where.
-Occsionally aliens can see and shoot me when I can't see them. Often happens with Sectopods.
-Direct hits sometimes don't hit at all. It hangs in a action shot and doesn't register the hit at all.
-The annoying elevation bug. The cursor seems to like highlighting the lower levels instead of the level the soldier is on.
The first two are not bugs, as I said in my previous post the aliens teleport around the map. So when they appear out of nowhere they've just teleported in a little of fog war that still nearby.
The second one is also not a bug, it's possible for your troops to have LoS on aliens and shoot at them while the aliens doesn't see your troops. So the opposite can also happen.

The last two are really annoying bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Research and Engineering are just not going fast enough for me so I get behind in weapons and armor.
It's tempting to go for every thing both in terms of research and building but really it's best you focus on or two aspects and ignore the rest until later.
For example when I first beat classic ironman I didn't even bother researching a nexus, while a nexus saves space but it doesn't necessarily save you money so I sold most of my working nav computers for cheap cash ($75 per working nav computer) and you can always get it later after you have nothing better to research.
Starting location is also important: North American start gives you more cash but the continental bonus doesn't save you money (you only need one interceptor per continent) other hand Asia start saves you lots of money ($400 in terms of officer training upgrades, more for foundry upgrades) and with Africa you have a nice 30% more money per country bonus.
While it's possible to safe every country in classic mode, I wouldn't recommend doing that if you want to finish it for the first time. Make a list of seven countries you can drop due to a combination of giving low money or a continental bonus that doesn't make a huge difference and ignore those countries and let them walk out.