Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 21:13   Link #2501
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think I can agree with that. Previous arcs addressed Iori's identity issues. Taichi himself directly addressed them.
In the first arc, I only remember Taichi (hypocritically) claiming that he would be able recognize Iori even if she was in a different body, which he couldn't. Shortly afterwards, he confesses to her, not to the "real" her but only to the image she was projecting.

The third arc, I'd say, was more focused on Iori's precarious family situation. While it was definitely related to her identity problems, it was nothing more than a peripheral element of the entire problem she was concealing. It was the original cause of the problem for sure, but I wouldn't say that the problem was resolved right then. It was just relieved temporarily.

As far as I remember, the problem was only directly addressed in this final arc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So were all of the Iori cheerful moments in previous arcs a facade? How about that moment she yelled out "Yahoo!" in class during the "unleashed emotions" arc? I would think that was sincere cheerfulness. I mean, seeing as how it was an "unleashed emotion" and all.

And there were many times that Iori opened up to Taichi in previous arcs. Was that all a facade?

And if all of her cheerful moments with the rest of the club was a facade then why is she remaining friends with them?

I think there were times that Iori said things she didn't really mean because she didn't want to cause trouble (this particularly being the case with the love triangle). But I think that bright and cheerful Iori is closer to her true personality than what Iori herself might want to admit.
Yes and no. I'm sure they weren't entirely fake, but the very fact that she perceived them to be fake makes all the difference here. As her actions were heavily influenced by social perception, it's clear here how different she was before and after the phenomenon.

So while the Iori from before and after the incident are ostensibly similar, I'm convinced that they're entirely different people. The main difference I'm seeing here is in how they justify their own behavior, and I believe that to be an integral part of evaluating them as characters. You have one character that is motivated by social perception and another that acts under her own will. The difference here is clear.