View Single Post
Old 2008-10-26, 11:52   Link #16
Falkor

Oh the character development… yeah, there was a lot of it missing as far as my knowledge of the source material concerns. But I didn’t want to mention it, even though I was aware of it, because I was trying to look at Taiga from an anime perspective, and seriously, it’s very frustrating.

Why making her so violent? In this regard, she is no different from her anime counterpart in ZnT. She wasn’t really this violent in the first two volumes of the novel (I’m not sure if past the second volume, things become more chaotic with respect to Taiga). The problem with making her so violent is that I don’t see anything that can offset it, or serve as a good motive/reason for doing so in the form of character development. One of my expectations for this adaptation was actually that, whether or not they would tone down Taiga’s selfish behavior a little bit, since even her verbal abuse was too much for some people, but they did the opposite. I’m trying to understand a reason why they would try to make Taiga more violent character-wise, and it serves no purpose within the story—other than upsetting me, and decreasing any kind of “love” I had for the character.