View Single Post
Old 2011-08-24, 20:13   Link #121
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think 'growing out of it' as a phrase can come off as kind of insulting, especially to older fans who clearly are grown already.
The phrase can absolutely be seen as having a loaded meaning. Growing out of it, like you said, seems to imply that there's something shallow and juvenile about the whole thing; that it's a phase you're supposed to leave at a certain stage in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think the idea of 'growing out of it' kind of stems from people who watched anime during their adolescence or childhood, loved it, and gradually changed as people over the years (as we all do) and find it harder to gain enjoyment. So it's not necessarily because of being more mature or anything like that, but rather the individual's tastes and interests being variable and always evolving, with the most rapid changes usually happening during adolescence.
Good points, I tend to agree. There's also the ever-changing anime industry itself. People who grew up on 90s and early 00s series may not appreciate the way the industry has changed since then. In a sense, the opposite might be true for them they might feel that they've remained the same, but anime as a whole has grown away from them.