Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-09, 10:39   Link #2186
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Well, lets see if Kaname will be more perseverant with Chisaki and perhaps be a bit more forceful ... but wait, wasn't Kouichi the nice guy from Hanasaku?
I know this post was ages ago but it made me realise just now that Okada happens to employ a few patterns when it comes to specific romances. Kou and Kaname are nice guys but they were originally in different templates.

Kou is part of the template where the male character will be this nice but nervous and wimpy guy that will scream his declaration of love in a comically whiny high pitched voice. Kou does exactly this in the first episode, we see another guy do this to Minko in that beach episode in HSI, and the guy who confessed to Miuna is clearly of this type as well (and I suppose Amata from Aquarion EVOL also counts). I think Okada likes using this template because she finds their loud and innocent honesty endearing, in a kinda "Kore wa seishun" sort of way. Whether or not they're successful is another story. I get the feeling that Okada likes to root for these guys and thus biased towards them but doesn't necessarily make it a deal breaker.

Kaname, however, seems to be part of a template that's a lot more "shoujo-esque": It involves a (most of the time) spunky rough girl that is swept away by this perfect, confident, handsome nice guy that's a lot more mature than her. We saw it in Satsuki in the HSI film and with Minko in the TV series, and I think we see it here in Sayu (as well as Akari to a lesser extent). I suppose this is kinda like the first template only with the girl instead of the guy and it gives off the same endearing innocence, but the success rate seem to be 100% here. The weird thing though is that the Ohana and Kou relationship sort of switched into this around the half way mark, so technically Kou's victory could've been attributed to being in this template rather than the other. Which means Kaname is probably going to end up with Sayu.

Of course this is all speculation. It should be noted that Okada probably only uses the above two templates when she wants to create a cute heartwarming romance but otherwise doesn't seem to use any obvious template when she wants to create a romance with deeper drama. (Ano Hana, True Tears and most of the pairings in Nagi no Asukara don't exhibit any characteristics of the above two templates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thess is right - Kaname is simply smooth and physically attractive, so of course he'd be appealing to a lot of normal everyday girls.

In addition to that, Sayu's feelings towards Kaname really began when he became cross with her for picking on Hikari and causing him problems. Kaname was firm, assertive, and very straightforward there. I think that impressed Sayu, and had a considerable impact on how she views Kaname. To her, Kaname probably comes across as incredibly dashing.

So Sayu's approach to Kaname makes sense to me.
I don't think it impressed her. She was just incredibly upset that she made Kaname cross because she already began liking him. Kaname had already worked her charm on her in their very first scene together when he pats her head in episode 2 and she blushes like crazy and goes tsundere (Hence why Okada chooses to mark their reunion with Kaname patting her head again). The moment when Kaname is cross with her probably made her more aware of her crush on him though.

Last edited by Haak; 2014-02-09 at 11:03.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote