View Single Post
Old 2011-01-30, 20:44   Link #21
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

This series isn't entirely about taking up challenges with love and faith. Mami's death was a demonstration of that, you also need to constantly think and be aware of what's going on. Sayaka made a hasty decision in the heat of the moment and can never go back on it, Madoka on the other hand is still capable of weighing her options. She realized that her resolve isn't strong enough to truly become a magical girl and changed her mind, hence her apologetic attitude in episode 4. She technically did nothing wrong, she just feels guilty for not being able to do what she said she would. Completely understandable given the circumstances. Sayaka on the other hand will regret her choice and it's pretty much foreshadowed that she will regret it soon, unlike Madoka who didn't want to make the rest of her life miserable for the sake of a promise that seemed serious at the time, Sayaka risked her life for a guy who so far seems to be indifferent towards her despite being childhood friends. There's more to the story than that, however one can't say that Sayaka's decision was the best one.

Also, no this is not Sailor Moon. Usagi faced her fears because she had to, she had to fight Beryl after watching each of her friends die rather unpleasant deaths. That much is true, but the circumstances and events framing that were completely different. Madoka is not Usagi, she is not Nanoha, she is not Tsukikage Yuri, she is Kaname Madoka. It is not fair to her character to judge and compare her to other characters who are part of a similar yet different genres after episode 4. It's not fair to oversimplify things. It's not fair to attack her character after she hasn't even been given a chance to develop. I do understand that while in my opinion it's not fair to do this so soon, it's not yours and you are free to do what you want as will everybody else. I just think it'd be a good idea to give her a chance and to stop comparing her character to others so soon because of one or two plot points that either weren't brought up or that you didn't like.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote