View Single Post
Old 2011-08-02, 13:03   Link #63
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I see Avatar: TLA as superior to almost any mainstream shounen currently running in Japan, and certainly better then most anime series of similar length.
The action scenes are very dynamic and creative, and most of the characters have an impressive amount of depth/emotion. The character's struggles can be quite gripping at times, which only makes their victories and defeats all the more memorable.
The soundtrack is also impressive, on par with some of the better anime out there without being over the top. It helps that they did a great job at using music that fit the mood well.

While Avatar: TLA had a huge budget, the people behind it certainly used that money well.

---

Also, its obvious a Western anything wouldn't do well in Japan. They are very brand loyal and will take the Japanese product/show over most non-Japanese alternatives. Not to mention Japanese anime are meant to appeal to Japanese audiences, so its fairly obvious they would prefer it.

---

Honestly, in recent memory only FMA:Brotherhood and Code Geass (first season) struck me as on par with Avatar:TLA. Personal preference will of course play a major role in whether you agree or not.