View Single Post
Old 2011-10-02, 00:47   Link #100
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2. I don't like the seeming lack of variety amongst the competing masters so far. They're all adult men so far (Waver is only 19, but he's basically an adult). Furthermore, even their personalities do not appear that diverse from one another (this episode in fact goes to great lengths to demonstrate how very similar two competitors in particular are). One of the strengths of Fate/Stay Night, in my view, was just how diverse - in age, gender, personality, and goals - the various Masters were in that narrative. It gave a nice array of competing perspectives and personality types, serving as a catalyst for good character growth and personality clashes. It also added some real color and dynamism to Fate/Stay Night, imo.

I'm not sure if Gen was locked into using these particular characters based on established Fate/Stay Night lore, but if not, I have to really question why he'd go with such a seemingly non-diverse cast on the Master side.
I have to say, I'm very much refreshed by the lack of teenage boys and girls, particularly girls, in every setting in which they can be squeezed. It seeps into settings that are supposed to be grave and it becomes more of a handicap. One of the reasons I can take Zero so seriously is the near total lack of pandering, especially for the prequel to an eroge. 2/7 of the cast are hitmen, another 2/7 are members of an apparently patriarchal, conservative organization, and 1/3 of the remainder is an established character. They are all assembled to inflict violence on one another. So it makes sense to me for there to be a lack of gender diversity.

Hell, one of the already small female cast is a gender bent King Arthur.
Spoiler for Maiya:
So they've gone pretty far just to include women already.

As for goals and motivation, I have yet to see any two masters who share the same. Rest assured, there will be personality clashes. Of the non Ryunosuke master cast, we can already begin to see them file into three groups of two diametrically opposed to one another.

Kayneth, blue blood representing the establishment and the in-group, nepotism and respect for hierarchy - Waver, representing the newcomer on the margins, the bottom of the totem pole, emphasis on merit and character

Tokiomi, the archetypal magus and alpha male character type - Kariya, the one who ran form the lifestyle of magi, the nice friend who didn't get the girl

Kiritsugu, defined by his sense of purpose - Kotomine, defined by his utter lack of direction but the insane lengths he is willing to go without one

Then you've got sub contrasts between the conservative magi like Tokiomi and Kayneth who believe absolutely in the rule of mage society and gentlemanly conflict and the brazen and utilitarian methods of Kiritsugu and Kirei.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote