View Single Post
Old 2009-04-25, 18:50   Link #48
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I see no reason why this would be problematic. There is no hard drama going on here, so that you'd be thrown from laughing to tears. It's rather more subtle. Like having a quiet and slightly downcast Hina walking home unsuccessfully trying to convince herself that what she did was the right thing (ep4). And there, shifting gears was really no problem. We're not jumping from Furi Kuri to Saikano here.
Probably not, but we're going from Furi Kuri (well, maybe not quite that extreme, but the comedy's still fairly off-the-wall) to something, and even that's not going to be easy to pull off convincingly. And, based on what I've seen so far, I don't think J.C. Staff is up to the challenge.

Quote:
Agreed. But if you hate resets, how can you like S1, which was all-filler reset-only?
Because by about ten episodes it became clear that Hayate no Gotoku was completely a comedy and not a romance, and that the romance elements were just there as a gag. So I had no expectations for plot progress, and it didn't bother me just how many resets they pulled, as long as the jokes kept flying and stayed funny. I realized expectations for plot progress were unreasonable for an anime like this (School Rumble taught me that lesson).

Quote:
No. J.C.Staff is animating the original Hayate. What you have gotten used to is a caricature of the original. And sorry, if you enjoyed laughing at trivial characters in pointless random settings, more power to you. Heck, even YOU admit that things got repetitive in the end. You seem to have forgotten that manga fans were literally seething at the end?

What J.C.Staff is doing now is getting the show back on track, just where Synergy left it. I don't want more Hayate baisers. I want the meat. And finally I'm getting it
Well, I wasn't really paying attention to what manga fans were saying, since they tend to seethe at most things. Momentarily following a random tangent, source loyalists are weird people, IMO. They tend to jump up and down about the script being loyal but seem to completely disregard execution. They'll give high praise to really poorly executed anime because they followed the source line-for-line and go irate over well executed anime just because they've taken some minor liberties with the source. Sometimes I see it as pointless to have a discussion with a fervent source loyalist because you can't get a reasoned argument out of them. They don't understand the concept of anime standing on its own feet. Or that the source isn't some sort of holy parchment. And some source materials just don't translate well to anime anyway (one of the reasons why I hope they never make a Ever 17 anime, despite it being one of my favourite visual novels).

As far as Hayate no Gotoku is concerned, it's incredibly rare for me to still find a comedy funny at the end of its run, so for Hayate no Gotoku to still be making me laugh after fifty-two eps was a minor miracle, IMO. Of course it was getting a little tiresome, but almost universally comedy is funnier towards the beginning than it is towards the end. I see it as some sort of benchmark for an anime comedy to still be funny right up until its final episode. Most aren't. Hayate no Gotoku was, even if it wasn't anywhere near as good as when it started. So what made it such a success as a comedy? Well, I've tried to explain, but comedy is the most subjective genre in anime, so maybe other people won't see it, particularly if plain old-fashioned jokes-by-the-dozen humour wasn't within your expectations. Hayate no Gotoku executed that style of comedy better than most other similar anime that I've seen.