View Single Post
Old 2009-09-14, 23:11   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I'd start with the OAVs first, at least the first two of them (I've heard bad things about the third but haven't seen it myself). Then watch Universe. Don't watch Tenchi in Tokyo at all
This is decent advice.

Tenchi in Tokyo is just... torture. Especially if you've seen the others.

Tenchi Universe has the advantage of a long time to tell the story, so I think the stroyline is fleshed out better, but it distorts the characters quite a bit- particularly Aeka, and Mihoshi (mainly because of the addition of Kiyone- who is a fan favorite), but the others also get reduced to cardboard cutouts on occasion. The art is also weaker.

Start with the OVAs. It has the best representation of why Aeka and Tenchi get along, as well as the conflict between Washu and Ryoko, with Mihoshi as a more interesting character- and Sasami as much more mischievous and interesting too.

Basically the characters are better, and the artwork too.

I'd say watch at least the first OVA series: Episodes 1-6, plus episode 7 "The Night Before the Carnival" special. Then watch the "Mihoshi Special" (my personal favorite of the series). At that point you can either continue on to the OVA 2 and OVA 3 series, or go watch the Tenchi Universe series. (The OVA 3 series wasn't bad, just the fans were ticked off when after waiting 8 years they get an OVA series that doesn't resolve the plot hook from OVA 2 series, and to many people only complicated everything further- so basically no story progression). OVA 2 does have some big revelations about Washu and Sasami though, so without it you'll be missing out on some big references commonly made about those characters.

Tenchi Universe is more slapstick, but is worth watching at the very least for Kiyone (Mihoshi's long suffering partner- introduced to us in the Mihoshi Special) and the Adventures Through Space And Time episodes (for which you need to see the OVA before getting some of the jokes).

If you like either Magical Girl anime or parodies of Magical Girl anime you can then check out the Pretty Sammy spin off.

Edit: List of OVA epiodes

Last edited by Sackett; 2009-09-15 at 07:40.