View Single Post
Old 2010-11-08, 06:17   Link #114
Kamonichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Utter lies :P The only narrator more unreliable than Kyousuke I reckon would be Kyon (and even that's up for debate). Seriously, when you consider his words in the light novels (and therefore by extension the anime), it becomes rather obvious that there is a lot Kyousuke is hiding, or changing, or just plain getting wrong- his continued assertion that he still hates his sister and vice versa (up to the fifth freakin novel) just to name one.

On the other point, I don't believe it to be commentary simply for the fact that it is portraying reality. The situation IRL is (sortta) the situation depicted in the series, but what makes this simply the setting rather than commentary imo is that nothing much comes from it- sure Kirino has to fight with her otaku side and try to keep both sides but I believe this is character development for her rather than some more generalised depiction of the real world situation facing people.
Sadly, I can't comment on the light novel, though I have to say I want to read it now. I haven't seen the "unreliable narrator" point-of-view done well in a long time. And I think Kyousuke making an effort to point out the flaws in the status quo of their reality is what makes this show a commentary, not that the show merely has a depiction of reality. Having it simply as a setting for Kirino's character development would be Kyousuke telling Kirino to accept herself over what society thinks, but Kyousuke is doing the opposite. He's going to society--i.e. their father and Ayase--and telling them to accept Kirino's hobby as part of her. So to me the show is being very blunt about its issues with reality, almost to the point of beating the audience over the head with them.