View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 06:44   Link #2936
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
How can that be a greater threat? People of the age of majority should (in theory) have the judgement necessary to be able to discern a good contract from a bad. A person of the age 10-14 doesn't even have the level of literacy required to read the contract they're signing, let alone fully understand it's implications. Contracts made with minors should not have standing in the courts.
And that's why parent's guidance and consent are necessary for those contracts to be enforceable in the first place. You seem to make it seem the minors had no advice.

Quote:
Put it this way, my friends work at most 50 hours a week, always get a full nights sleep and are happily in relationships. Most professions do not micromanage the lives of their employees. Between 9 and 5 (figuratively) they're "owned" by the company, but outside of that they do what they like. Their private lives are their own business. The extent of control their employer has outside of work hours is simply if they do anything that might be related to their work (let's say they tried to sell company secrets).
Their private life is not the business of their workplace because that private life has no bearings on work itself. Is this so difficult to understand?

Quote:
The contracts K-Pop artists are under are some of the harshest I've ever heard of. They are quite exceptionally harsh.
I've seen harsher, but they were on voluntary terms.

Quote:
I can't speak from personal experience at the moment, as I'm unemployed, but everything I've applied to (Engineering work) have quite rigorously enforced labour and safety laws. For instance I interviewed for shift work positions, and even with that unpleasantness your hours were limited and you only had to work 3/4 days a week.
And what does that have to do with the idol industry again? The work requirements are different.

Quote:
It's not just for one person to control another, as invariably they'll use that control for nefarious purposes. That's why we have labour laws.
It's that kind of biased suspicion that we have labor disputes in the first place.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote