Thread: What is hell?
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-15, 20:52   Link #57
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

The version of "hell" in the Robin William's movie "What Things May Come" was very interesting to me --- in that movie, the afterlife was basically a self-judgement destination.

As for my personal convictions.... the afterlife as defined by most religions is wishful thinking. We have no idea if anything survives death and it scares humanity enough to rationalize stories about it.
I definitely believe there is an afterlife. I have a grandmother who passed away and she has reached out to the family and has done so to let us know she is still alive and that there is an afterlife. She has reached out in very explicit and clear ways that leave no doubt that she is interacting with us from the other side. I assure people that there is an afterlife.

Just as sure as I am about there being a Heaven, I'm sure there is a hell. Now, people can experience hell while they are alive. Suffering is a form of it, I believe. This is a Buddhist belief. While many Buddhist believe in an afterlife version of hell, Buddhist also believe that suffering in life is a form of hell (and feeling happines and joy in life is a form of Heaven). I believe there are multiple levels to Heaven and Hell. Different levels correspond to how good or bad you've been in life, simply speaking. This concept is found in different religions, including Buddhism and Hinduism.

Now Vexx, you speak of What Dreams May Come and say it portrays hell as a self Judgement. This is in line with Islam in a way. The Muslims believe in Judgement day, where all souls end up judging themselves. However, you don't really call the shots. In this phenomenal process, the soul is fully aware of every little thing about itself and the true nature of all its actions it committed. There is no bias and twisting things to your liking. In light of this full awareness, you sort of self-judge yourself. If you were a bad person, you will be unhappy and be in a state of hell. If you were terrible, you have a really bad afterlife. If you were good or very good, your salvation is great or incredible and so forth. I think that sounds pretty fair. This viewpoint is open to all people; meaning non-Muslims can have a good afterlife too, if they lived a good life.

Well, I like that belief from the religion, but I don't really believe in that religion. But I believe that the afterlife will be a result; a consequence of your life. So, if you are overall a good person who did much good in the world, you will enjoy peace and joy in the afterlife, I believe.

Also, about the person who cited Diyu on page one...I think a lot of those concepts are not reports of truth (such as from people who had mystical experiences), but rather...as Vexx said, it seems like a lot of those concepts are just things made up by people to keep the masses in line. I mean...peeping toms having their eyes gouged out? Bogus crap right there. That kind of punishment isn't fit for a petty thing as that. But whatever, I see that the concept of Diyu has combined with much folklore (although I'm sure that some of it is true/partially true).