View Single Post
Old 2011-12-31, 07:54   Link #450
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I'm actually not too worried about Chihayafuru if it is pulling in some ratings in it's day time lot. Its 24:55 slot still has advertising significant and it also has a 3:00 PM slot that would help.

Besides, anime adaption of long running Shonen and Shojo series (daytime anime) rarely put up big numbers in DVD/BD sales anyway. I don't remember Nodame or Kimi ni Todoke pulling in any earth shuttering number either. Thought it is important that the anime at least boosts the sales of manga, which both anime managed to do and help push both series to it's leadership status.

From what I heard Chihayafuru is doing decent in rating, and the manga sales has also surged, as does interest in Kuruta. So I think everything is still OK so far.
It's not actually doing that great in ratings. It tends to be stuck in the 1.*% range which is lower than the previous show (Kaiji S2) has achieved. With that said, I think the sales are still OK for the sort of show it is - I'm fairly sure the numbers are very close to 3000 even though both figures are under the threshold, and that's OK since the shows on that timeslot bomb more than often in regards to disc sales (while KimiTodo did fine but doesn't really count due to the huge popularity of the manga, Kaiji might just have sold under 500 units). The downside is that Chihayafuru is sold at a lower price than your usual anime to try and draw a larger audience, and it didn't work that well, so the profitability from the BD/DVD sales isn't as consequent as it would normally be.

As for the increase in manga sales, it doesn't seem huge:
vol. 10: 161,373
vol. 14: 171,785 (<- Sept. 13 - 19, just before the anime)
vol. 15: 192,448 (<- 2 weeks ago)

tl;dr - It's not a huge flop but not much of a success either. A second season isn't that likely, but it could still happen, especially if the series were to be adapted into a new support in the future, i.e. a TV drama or a movie. Kaiji 2 probably was pushed by the second live-action movie, same for Kimi ni Todoke 2nd season & its movie - NTV producers seem to be very receptive of these.