Thread: Bartender
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-27, 20:49   Link #170
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I still think episode 2, where we learn the story of Miwa the hotel heiress, is my favorite in the series. In fact, I think it's one of the single finest episodes of any anime I've watched. For one thing, it is throughout the most "Japanese" of the episodes: the postwar clash of cultures and the appropriateness of Ryu's choice. Miwa's story itself is very touching; to think she's carried this burden for twenty years. Underlying all this is a beautiful, yet understated piano score that always enhances the events on-screen. Not to mention, Miwa herself. Why isn't this woman fighting off suitors left and right? She does have a big crush on Ryu, though. If he's noticed, and he's obviously too perceptive to have missed it, maybe he feels it would be unprofessional of him to have a relationship with a customer. His loss. (Or maybe he doesn't like girls.)

Like Goofus and NSW, I found episode 10 a bit jarring because the style was distinctly more mainstream than the others. I almost stopped watching around the midway point because I found the professor's character so annoying. I've taught university off and on in my life, and no one carries his or her dissertation around, especially to an elementary school reunion. I think I could find a copy of mine if I looked hard enough, but its importance pales in comparison to other life events like having children!

I did laugh when the two fellow bartenders shook their heads after Ryu claimed anyone could make a Black Velvet with a double-pour. I noticed our real-life bartender pulled off the feat at the end, though. I wonder if they needed more than one take.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-02-28 at 11:16. Reason: More detail on episode two
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote