View Single Post
Old 2011-08-23, 23:44   Link #991
cyberbeing

Unless you actually have something VFR, you should just specify --fps 24000/1001 (or whatever the framerate is) --force-cfr for compatibility if using x264 mkv output. By default x264 ffms vfr + mkv output doesn't write a default duration to the mkv and will break various software which stupidly assumes the splitter videoinfoheader will always contain the initial framerate. Not having a default duration for VFR is complaint with the MKV spec, but it's too bad there isn't a switch to force ffms out of VFR mode and just auto-detect a CFR.

Edit: I forgot that x264 had a --force-cfr switch, so you can used that instead of specifying a --fps if you want non-VFR output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
That's a bug in MediaInfo, I'm pretty sure. Update it and see if it goes away.
I wouldn't be surprised if the bug in MediaInfo is caused by a VFR bug in the Haali Muxer. Normally with MediaInfo would show Variable w/ no fps for VFR mkvs without a default duration, but it's instead showing Constant w/ 1.199fps. Either way, the files should still be decoded correctly, since the timecodes are present (though rounded to the nearest integer).

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2011-08-25 at 08:26.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote