View Single Post
Old 2007-02-13, 21:14   Link #9
Naive
Tabloid Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
As for Full Moon Wo Sagashite, I've been wanting to watch it, but I've come across something which I've heard is a HUGE spoiler. Will this harm my enjoyment of the series? I'm talking about:
Spoiler:
Oh yes it will spoil your enjoyment of the series because that basically is the climax of the series. The first season is all about buildup to her searching for Eichi-Kun, and is actually quite episodic, so if you know what happens I think it'll be boring. Besides that twist made the series for a lot of people because it was so well done and quite shocking after all the build up, I remember crying...

Anime that's wowed me recently, well as people have mentioned before, Honey and Clover is a wonderful heart-wrenching series that was beautifully done. It's very realistic and the main character, despite his normality, steals the show. It still haunts me despite the fact that it ended a few months ago.

Gundam SEED - If you like intense drama and can handle mechas, this is a good series to watch. It's about a war between genetically enhanced human beings and regular human beings. The main protagonist is a genetically enhanced human being forced to fight on the opposite side to protect his "natural" friends. The first 20 episodes are fight/fight/fight, but after that it gets really good and the rest of the episodes leave you wanting more and more. The characters are memorable and really get development, and it has a satisfying conclusion. But don't watch the sequel GS Destiny because it's a letdown.

If you liked Tutu, you should def check out Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's a lot of the "fractured fairy-tale feeling" except Utena is a lot more epic and symbolic. It can be confusing and you need to pay attention, but I think this show has the best character development I've seen in a long time. Every character is stripped-down and peeled-away by the end of the show and every character is emotionally screwed up in the head despite appearances. It's a classic shoujo but not for everyone because it really makes you think. But there are dark themes in the story, so if you can't handle lesbianism (wait you watched Mai Hime ) or implied incest then it's probably not for you.

Fruits Basket also holds a special place in my heart. The main character is the typical shoujo girl, the sweet smiling girl who keeps on smiling despite obstacles in life. She meets a cursed family, where each member turns into one of the Chinese zodiac animals if hugged by the opposite sex. It sounds fluffy at first and the main character isn't that interesting, but underneath the humor there's a lot of pain and darkness in the series. The "leader" of the family is sadistic and twisted, and negatively affects most of the members of the family. It's really well-done and emotional.

Monster this is one of the most scariest and addicting animes I've ever watched. It's about a Japanese Doctor who has to choose between saving a rich man's life or a fatally injured child's life in Germany right after the Cold War. Ethically, he chooses to save the child's life because that was the first patient that came in, so he extract's the bullet from his head, only to find out that this child is a chilling murderer who kills without emotion. The Doctor decides to atone for his choice by going after the grown-up child. The anime is 70 plus episodes and can sometimes be episodic but every episode is important and eventually connects together. It's very dark and gritty because this child is not just a sociopath, but he's part of a bigger web of dark communist history. It's a little slow but very interesting.