View Single Post
Old 2016-04-11, 10:49   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
I would agree for the most part; it seems like Mirage is uptight and snaps at Hayate because she takes her job very seriously. Hayate is on the defensive, and reacts in an unfortunate but understandable fashion, but his dig at Mirage's timing would seem to her to be extremely petty, because she probably cares more about protecting her charges than putting on a show. Still, it reflects poorly on her abilities as a pilot so she can't deny it, and thus the sparks continue to fly.
I don't necessarily mind Hayate's response to Mirage here. Like you wrote, it's understandable.

But there's two things that add to it to give me a "he's a jerk" current take on Hayate.

1. Him basically telling Freyja that she's going to fail. I suspect this is supposed to seem like cute teasing leading into an anime romance, but this early on, it just seems callous to me. This is a big deal to Freyja, and it's not like her and Hayate are already an item that have developed a certain chemistry where they tease each other just for fun.

2. Him giving off this "too cool for school" vibe to me. He's already acting like some ace hotshot that the military should bend/break all of its rules for. I'd have much less issue with it if he truly saved the day, but the guy needed to have his own butt bailed out at the start of this episode. And it's not like the antagonists were soundly defeated. Like one of them said, it seemed to me that they might have won if they had pressed on.

Hopefully the Hayate/Mirage dynamic ends up being a well-balanced one, and it results in me liking them both more. But for now, the Freyja side of the story is far and away what I like most about Macross Delta.