View Single Post
Old 2007-01-02, 06:19   Link #24
nitraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
This chapter makes me wonder how it is that the Quincy were so easily annihilated by the Shinigami. Did they send a bunch of captains to the real world or something?
I think it was mentioned before that the density of spirit particles in Soul Society and Hueco Mundo exceeds that of the real world. So Ishida has far more particles to his disposal than the Quincies in the real world had.
Besides that it was also said that he has incredible potential (Mayuri said so if I'm not mistaken).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
and technically "schneider" would not be a blade so much as scissors (though the words are still different). Sword in German is "Klinge" while scissors in German are "Schere" so Schneider is a little closer to scissors. Anyway, I guess my point is that Soul Cutter doesn't actually mean a sword, just something that cuts.
"Seele Schneider" is quite a good german translation for "soul cutter". It's not perfect, though. If you're into language stuff read on otherwise just skip the rest of my post

The most common translation for "Schneider" would be "tailor". While that doesn't make much sense in regard to a weapon, it's probably a pun on Ishidas tailoring skills (and it was stated before that the "Seele Schneider" looks a lot like a needle). Also it should be "Seelenschneider". "Seele Schneider" feels more like "Soul. Cutter.", ie two separate words.
"Schneider" is only closer to scissors than a blade in that a tailor mainly uses a scissor
Also sword is "Schwert" while "Klinge" is "blade". Just for clarification.