View Single Post
Old 2008-04-19, 16:39   Link #65
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But it does make you wonder why Ranka is being investigated and what else is in that file?

And why were the others investigated?
Definitely.

For example, this is obviously not the first time these sorts of aliens have attacked humans, but the previous attack was obviously kept classified for whatever reason. And one wonders if this has something to do with Ranka's Zentradi heritage. And Ozma obviously has a history of some sort with the LT. Furthermore, as others have pointed out, Ranka's voice has some kind of effect on the aliens. Is that why she survived, while the rest of her family did not? And what exactly is the significance of those blood tests? Plenty of material to be dealt with in future episodes. The same goes with Alto--we still haven't gotten substantial details of how he left his family's kabuki business.

My instincts are still that Ranka and Alto will be the eventual couple. Sheryl is also being fleshed out as a character with her aggressive attitude, but Ranka's connection to the aliens seems to make her more significant to the plot. And the chemistry between her and Alto seems to go well beyond the whole guy saving damsel in distress business. Without the sub, I couldn't really follow the dialog, but at the observatory, you see Alto in his usual state of adolescent frustration, and then he hears Ranka singing. Next thing you know, he's smiling and seemingly content, and shortly after that he joins SMS, where he will presumably find the sense of purpose and strength he's been looking for. I'm *certain* Alto and Sheryl will get more face time, and she *will* become a serious contender in the love triangle, but Ranka just seems to have such a drastic league. And it seems to go beyond the lead Minmei had in SDF Macross at the same point in the series. But I, of course, could be wrong.