View Single Post
Old 2007-08-18, 12:10   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Post Browser Optimizing.

I initially meant to make this thread Opera-only but I'll keep it general purpose just in case other browsers are in need.

Please keep clear separation between recommendations and what could be considered exotic functionality.
I would also ask that we try to avoid publicity on browser skins/themes. (!we all know how to use them)

The topic of the thread is: Give and discuss recommendation/guides on browser-tweaks to improve everyday browsing.
Comments on what practical use you have for X-less-known-feature (e.g. Opera Notes) are also welcome.

Opera Basic Install/After-Install Guide
Opera Version: from 9.22 to 9.60

Installing Opera
You have two choices...From 9.30 onwards the shortcuts have changed. Select Tools » Preferences » Advanced » Shortcuts to set the compatibility with the old (better) shortctus.

After Installing Opera
Basic settings tweaks...
  • F12 » Referrer Logging: Off

• Ctrl+Alt+T (Transfers) » View (top button bar) » "Never Show When Starting Download" or "Show Transfer in Background When Starting Download"

• Tools » Preferences » Advanced » Fonts » Minimum Font Size: 8

• Tools » Preferences » Advanced » Download » Hide File Types Opened With Opera: Off » search: torrent » Edit » Show Download Dialog

• Tools » Preferences » Advanced » History » Check Documents: Always and Check Images: Every 24hours (or Every Week is may be good for you too, depends)

• Cache Setting

The settings as they are be good enough, but...
      If you want Opera to have a low memory (RAM) footprint, set the Memory Catch to a small number (or OFF) and double/quadruple the disk cache.
      If you want a faster Opera and have plenty of RAM, set the Memory Cache to some high number.

OS Optimization
Operating system related tips...

Shortcut Key
If you don't like using shortcuts and docs are particularly annoying as well, you can try assigning opera to a function key. For example lets say you want to start opera with the F7 key. Go to Start » Programs and find the Opera shortcut (only works with shortcuts) now right click and select Properties. In the window that pops up you will see a Shortcut Key field. It should say None. Just click in the field and press the F7 key, hit Ok and your done. Now you can open Opera by pressing F7. Note that these will be overwriten by any program. If you are in some program and you want to open Opera quick just default to windows first before hiting F7 (or w/e key you chose). So for example you can hit something like WinKey+D (show desktop) and then press F7 (instead of WinKey+M you can also try WinKey+M which might be faster for you). With a little practice this is much faster then anything else.
Faster startup
Go the opera shortcut properties and in the target field add "/Prefetch:1" after the opera.exe location.
The field should look something like: "C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" /Prefetch:1
ClearType
If your fonts look pixelated and you want them to look smother try RightClick on Desktop go to Properties and navigate to the Appearence tab, select Effect and where it says "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen font:" select ClearType. Give it a minute or two to get used to them and if you still don't like them just go back and switch to the default "Standard".
Automatic Ad-Blocking
Also blocks intelli-crap...
  • Open My Computer (Win-Key + E)
  • Copy/Paste/Enter in the addressbar: %appdata%\Opera\Opera\profile\styles\user
  • Create a file "addblock.css"
  • Open & copy/paste:
Code:
/*
Name: Ad-Blocking FiltersetP
*/
  • Go to http://userstyles.org/styles/299 click the Show Code Button and Copy/Paste the code.
  • Save the file and restart Opera.
  • Go to View » Style » Ad-Blocking FilterP: Enable
  • Say: "Goodbye 99% of intrusive crap."

Inline Spell-Checker
Similar to adv. word processors...
  • Open My Computer (Win-Key + E)
  • Create a "Opera UserJs" folder somewhere convenient...
  • Go: Tools » Preference » Advanced » Content » Javascript: ON » Javascript Options » (disable the first 4 -particularly annoying- options) » User Javascript Files » Browse to: "Opera UserJs"
  • Go to http://opera.gt500.org/ospell/ and download the OSpell file to your "Opera UserJs" folder.
  • Give yourself a pad on the back, you've set up spell-checking.

Opera Very Useful Tool Shortcuts
Opera Features that work for you...
Auto-Form Completion
  • Go to: Tools » Preferences » Wand
  • I recommend setting only the basic. ( First/Last Name, Email and Homepage. )

Wand Password Manager
If you don't want it, disable it by going to Tools » Wand » Let Wand Remember Passwords: OFF ; This will prevent the annoying save/don't save/never dialog.

When you type a id and password you will get something like Save, Don't Save, Never Ask Again dialog. If you choose Save, the next time you come back you'll see the fields in yellow, you can hit Ctrl+Enter to log in. I should tell you that you can have multiple id's and passwords for the same field; when this happens hitting Ctrl + Enter brings forth the list of id/pass choices.

I find it particularly useful for remembering ids and passwords for sites you don't visit very often.
Speed Dial
  • HowTo: Click the empty box » Type in your fav site » hit enter
  • A preview appears you can now click that preview to go to the site.
  • Speed Dial appears and is most useful when you create a new empty tab. (Ctrl + T)

Bookmark Nickname
I'm not a bookmark person, mainly because I have something like 5000+ only in Firefox, which is the browser I'm not browsing with My way is to extensively use the History, but a small problem comes up...

AS an example, how many forums use the address forums.BlahBlahBlah.com. Well I'll tell you: A DAMN Too Many!!

So this means I have to type way too may characters ("forums.ab..." et cetera) But there's an alternative:
  • Bookmark the troublesome sites.
  • Bookmarks » Manage Bookmarks » (select one) » Right-Click » Properties » (give it a nickname)
  • Do the same for the others; make sure their as different as possible.
  • Now to open bookmarks based on they nickname, hit Shift + F2 and start typeing.
  • You do not need to press Enter, Opera will auto-open when it can find only on match, so at most you will be typing two or three letters.
KeyStroke Search Engine
Whenever you use a search field create a search keyword for it! "If it's worth doing once it's worth making something to do it." Here's how:
  • Right Click the search field
  • Select "Create Search"
  • Assign a keyword. I recommend using keywords that are 2-3 to 4 characters long. ( ani, an, wiki et cetera ) Avoid using 1-character keywords, they are ambiguous and hence hard to remember.
Later when you wish to use it again you can type in your address field (try using F2) like this: wiki search-words
Opera Very Useful Key Shortcuts
  • BASIC: Ctrl+T (new tab) 1/2 or Ctrl+Tab (cycle tabs) Ctrl+F8 (show/hide address bar) * (100% zoom) - (zoom out) + (zoom in)

• Ctrl+(click image) » Saves Image
  • Ctrl+Shift+(click link) » Open in background
  • F2 » pop-up address bar
  • . » quick search in page (!Not what you get with Ctrl+F)
  • F11 » Full Screen Mode

• Ctrl+W » Close Tab/Exit Opera
  • Ctrl+Alt+W » Close All Tabs
  • Ctrl+Shift+Alt+W » Close All Tabs But Active. But there's a better way...
    ( Right Click » Lock Tab ) on the tabs you don't want to close, then use Ctrl+Alt+W.
    (locked tabs can not be closed until you unlock them)

Hardcoded settings
The dirty/complete way...

Some settings you might not find in the Preferences. For a complete list of all of Opera's variables type in the adress bar opera:config. Tick the little checkbox at the top that says "Show All". Now you should see all of Opera's variables and settings and tweak Opera to your hearts content. For example enabling opera:config#UserPrefs|ScrollIsPan will make clicking and holding on any page a Acrobat Reader style page draging rather then mass selection.

See also: Opera Site-Specific Settings

Last edited by felix; 2008-10-09 at 15:34. Reason: Update.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote