View Single Post
Old 2011-01-07, 16:22   Link #605
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What I *do* know is that the premise itself is otaku-pandering harem bullshit, just what you'd expect from an anime adaption of a VN/LN.
Hey now! I respect that you do not like harem and IS in general, but extending those impressions to all VN/LN as "expected" is a bit harsh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Except that he knows virtually nothing about this piece of equipment that he's apparently so good at operating. I can't fathom how this could be the case. He's the only male in the world who can even make the thing move, much less actually be good with it. Why hasn't he bothered to learn anything about it?
This is the fault of the anime, the light novel explained this pretty clearly. In favor of pacing, the explanation was cut out, and I agree with that decision (let's be honest, most viewers don't care about that). Though I do have to point something out. Ichika is completely terrible at piloting IS at this point, as he said, he only side-stepped during the entrance exam and instant win cause probably the instructor didn't expect that and wall crashed. He knows he sucked too because he probably expected a duel outside of IS fight, but realized in midway arguing that they are fighting with IS and went "oh crap".

And some response to multiple posts ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!! Generic doesn't mean it's bad!!! Tropes exist for EVERYTHING. Just because it's not a deconstruction/mocking of modern day otaku culture doesn't mean the show is not worth watching! What happened to just enjoying these cliches?!?! Didn't you enjoy these the first time you watch anime? If you didn't, what about the visuals?! Or do you watch anime in hoping of uber originality that just completely wow you in metaphysical and philosophical presentations? I watch anime because the visuals are impressive and pleasing to the eye; if the story/plot takes a backseat so be it, and vice versa. While I don't mean all anime should be completely thoughtless, but for this particular one if there are enough visual and the existence of "a" plot, there's no need to hate on the cliches!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote