Thread: Question A discussion on spoilers.
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 16:15   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Let's face it, people love series subforum episode threads. They tend to be major hubs of activity here on Anime Suki. By all indications, source material fans would most like to discuss the anime episodes they just watched with total openness on episode threads. At the same time, viewers who are experiencing a narrative for the first time often don't want to be spoiled on what is to come. Trying to force these two groups together unto the same thread is often counterproductive, and can cause great dissatisfaction for both groups.

Ascaloth's suggestion would address that dissatisfaction, which I personally think is a larger issue than any of the potential downsides that you've raised.
Umm... no? What "great dissatisfaction"?

Within sub-forums, there is already a thread for speculation & spoilers, which is in fact a thread where people familiar with the source can discuss what they think will happen next in the anime after watching each episode. Comparisons for what has already aired are allowed within spoiler tags. So this isn't really an issue in series sub-forums most of the time. At the beginning of each new show, we have to remind people of the spoiler rules, and it takes a while for people to get used to them, but then it generally settles down for the most part. I don't think this season will be any different in that regard. I don't see a great demand from anyone to have duplicate threads for every episode to segregate the discussion, so long as there is a place where all the needed topics can be discussed (and, there is).

Arguably, the place that has a greater need for this differentiation is shows that don't have sub-forums, because they don't have the extra threads; the only choice is either the anime thread or the source material thread. This is less than ideal, but I don't think most franchises really warrant the creation of that many more threads which will generally be underutilized.

So anyway, I don't agree with your understanding of what the problems actually are, and I don't think you've really properly thought through the implications of what you're suggesting. I do not support the suggestion.

P.S. Making such a major change has huge ramifications, and such a change isn't likely to be adopted all of a sudden just because a few people think it would be a good idea. If you want to pursue the concept, rather than argue back point-by-point, please try to think of an alternate suggestion that would address both your concerns and the concerns I've stated. That said, I think it needs to begin by a clearer understanding/definition of what the problem is. From my point of view, it still seems to me that the current policy isn't well understood by some (not all). I'm more likely to support a suggestion that makes the policy clearer than I am to support a policy that fractures the threads even further, but that's just me.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-13 at 16:45.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote