Thread: Licensed Elfen Lied
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-17, 18:44   Link #1092
Chronissz

My take on the ending, Nyuu was the part of Lucy that was created to escape the harsh reality she was enduring. She created that childlike state to be able to survive after commiting these horrible acts. After she comes to terms with what she has done (by finally explaining her actions to Kouta), I think she would have done away with that shell of a personality. It was only there to protect her mind from going completely insane. Once she was willing to rationalize and openly explain her actions, I think that personality would have died out. Therefore I dont see the reason to bring back Nyuu, her mind has entered an awakened state, it realizes the full potential of the mistakes she has made, but whether or not she is willing to move forward and continue living is up to the viewer to decide.

I dont think you can say all of them start killing after age 3, or that all of them develope this Nyuu type personality. As in real life it depends on the psychological conditions the child has been subjected too. We already know that all of them share the same emotions that humans do, the only difference is they are born with this inherent weapon, and when their minds snap as a child from the abandonment caused by their horns, they use these weapons to lash out in the only way they know how. In Lucy's case, it was the killing of the dog and the seemingly betrayal of her only friend that made her snap, from there on out she awokened this alternate personality that existed inside her. This could be tottally different from Diclonius to Diclonius, as it is in Nana's case. Nana didnt develope this personality disorder because she always had someone to fall back on, her father (as she though).

The only conflict I see here is the return of Nyuu's personality in the manga, I just dont see Nyuu existing anymore, the purpose of Nyuu was to protect Lucy from having to live with what she had done. Now that she has confonted Kouta, which was the only reason she kept on living, that split personality would dissapear, and what would be left would be the tragic Lucy that can never escape the horrors of what she has done.

This last bit is entirly up to the viewer to decide, and this is how I view it. Lucy returns to the Inn as herself, a fully awakened personality, we know Kouta never will forgive her for what she did, but that does not mean he hates her. The death of Lucy offers nothing good to the world, it was the world that abandoned Lucy in the first place, she just choose the wrong way to deal with that abandonment. I see Lucy living without her horns and without the ability to use her powers, and I see her experiencing life for the first time as she was meant to, like a normal human being. She has caused so much hate and suffering for so many people, but she still has a chance to continue to live and bring love and hope into the world. If there is only one reason for Lucy to continue living it would be to bring these feelings of joy to the people around her, and try to learn from the mistakes of the past.

As I said before Lucy dieing is not a solution to any problems, if Lucy was to die it would just be a testament to how horrible the world is, but if she lives on without killing anymore, she can be the proof that everyone is looking for, that Diclonius are not born to kill, they are taught to kill through years of abuse, and then they revert to this subconscious that tells them that it is alright to kill, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, they have compassion and they know deep down that what they have done is evil, and they are willing to atone for it.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote