View Single Post
Old 2011-11-22, 01:16   Link #74
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Whoops, I thought he was replying to me. In any case, anime is a media form, and I think I have made clear that all my examples are relevant to my points and can be put forth into anime. I'm really not sure on why you thought I was trying to insult Ledgem, but if you wish for me to only stick with anime examples I will stick with that from now on, starting this post.
No no, sorry -- I didn't take it as an insult or anything, I was just trying to say that let's try to stick somewhat close to the proposed thread topic... even though I'm not sure just how much more there is to say about it before it turns "cyclic" to be honest. I have been generally impressed by the conversation so far; expected a lot more hurt feelings.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Granted, some of these characters suffer from a sort of infantilization, and I can definitely see how that would offend some viewers, especially female viewers (speaking of which, I wonder if such infantalization is Shai-Lang's primary beef with "Moe" as a whole - If so, I can respect a more nuanced and precise criticism of that alone).
Yes, this one the many tangent/angles I wondered about in the original post as well, and as a standalone consideration could probably be debated/discussed (though with great care/caution, I should add). I think you are quite correct that even characters that may appear or act "childish" (to emphasize this sort of "cuteness") often have additional dimensions beneath the surface that contribute more than this and what ultimately make them endearing. But from an outside perspective, this may not be apparent, and if you couple this with a preconception that these shows lack substance, along with some of the more... flamboyant displays of excessive devotion? ... it may send a message not unlike that what the OP seems to perceive. If you've come to believe that "moe = sexualization of young girls" then, okay, I can definitely see how that would offend some people (probably even a lot of people). That's indeed why we need to break the real issue down to its component parts and figure out the heart of the "problem", because there are probably a bunch of separate issues at play that happen to have been grouped together.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-11-22 at 01:42.