View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 14:12   Link #1946
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed. In a few other countries Patrynomics were the origin of most names, IE Son of X. This is most obvious in Scandinavia (Anderson -> Ander's Son), and the patrynomic system is still in actual use in Iceland (where everyone's last name is based on that of their father, if your father was Erik, you would be Eriksson if you're a man, or Eriksdottir if a woman.

In Ireland it's similiar, almost all names are "son of" or "Grandson of", with the name usually being an actual name (O'Brian) or a epithet or nickname, my own name Quigley, coming from O'Choighligh, or Grandson of Flaxen Hair (a nickname meaning messy hair). I have a friend who is "McHugh" which of course means son of Hugh.

Similiar systems can also be found to a lesser extent in other parts of Europe, like Russia.

As for Idols in Japan, Korea, I think Korean Idols are largely based on the Japanese Idol industry, but have achieved greater success in the last few years. Though it's strange that SNSD is basically unknown in Ireland or Britain. I think the relationship between Korea and Japan, in this respect, is similiar to the relationship between Ireland and Britain. Britain created the template for Pop Idols in the isles, but several Irish acts have used that template to great success, most famously Boyzone and Westlife.

If you compare AKB48 and SNSD, AKB48's appeal is largely based on Japanese ideas of "Cuteness". SNSD is has a much more overt sex appeal. You can also say that when it comes to dance choreography SNSD is much more proficient, but I'd say the part of AKB48's appeal is taken from the fact that they're not seen as super proficient at dancing, similiar to how Moe girls are rarely super skilled at anything. Basically they're more friendly girl next door types.

However, that taste for cuteness is fairly restricted to Japan. Sexiness, on the other hand, sells everywhere.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote