View Single Post
Old 2007-09-05, 23:59   Link #12
Rah-Rah
I Am A Justaway

Send a message via MSN to Rah-Rah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
And it has glaring bad points:
Horrible story development. It was so bad they had to shorten it half way through the series since the impending doom of cancelation was looming overhead.
Hahaha, what? That's not what happened at all. It just got ignored in the rush of the other high profile mecha series at the time (Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam in particular), so since the ratings were bad, it got cut short from it's original established run (Like a lot of shows during this time period, as well as Gundam X and as of recently, Ayakashi Ayashi). It's not a bad series (Or HORRIBLE as you put it) by any means. It's one of the most ambitious mecha series of the 80s, and it deserves a lot of credit for that. As for cliche curcumstances, see Kaioshin_Sama's first post, and it's a good plot tool to have naive kids see the grim reality of warfare first hand. Makes for some epic moments later. And for "horrible production", for an 80s anime, the animation is actually excellent, maybe even Zeta Gundam level. Sounds like someone is spoiled by the high production values of a lot of recent shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area88 View Post
Rah-Rah, I've been in the same boat as you, after seeing the fansub for this almost 3 years ago, I've wanted to watch this show desperately. Luckily I got hold of most of it and I'm now releasing it online for others to enjoy too. Hopefully we can expand the fanbase in the US and get others to appreciate more 80's goodness since too many fansub groups are geared to only releasing the newer, contemporary stuff of today.
Actually, it was Another Century Episode 2 that made me curious of Layzer (That and looking around youtube for L.Gaim videos and stumbling upon the opening), since the mecha desgins looked kinda familer and Ryousuke Takahashi is one of my all time favorite directors (Loved his work on Votoms and Gasaraki, as well as his recent series, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto). Can't be helped though that most fansubbers are doing the newer stuff, since there is a lot more being produced nowadays, so it's hard enough to keep track of it all, with a lot of shows being good (Particually last season), and a lot being bad. But that's the case with everything, I suppose. I too hope you expand your fanbase, as there are a lot of 80s shows I'd love to check out (You hear that, Shin Getter? I want more L.Gaim damn it!).

Last edited by Rah-Rah; 2007-09-06 at 00:22.
Rah-Rah is offline   Reply With Quote