View Single Post
Old 2010-05-22, 13:21   Link #10458
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I'm not sure if that's actually true, but I do agree that Battler's narrative perceptions should not be lies if only because that would make no sense (when I think to myself, I usually don't attempt to deceive people who happen to be randomly listening to my thoughts, as those people don't exist).

However, the idea that Battler can be mistaken or wrong is clearly important. There are plenty of examples of this:
  • He forgets his sin. That's sort of important. In ep4 he seems almost indignantly resolute in not having the slightest idea what Beatrice is talking about, but in ep5 it's clear that he realizes he was wrong.
  • His statements about his family's personality are often wildly off. The most famous example being "Rosa keeps her promises," but his other assessments are also perhaps suspect. He thinks George is trustworthy, thinks Kyrie is really smart, finds Genji a bit stodgy, doesn't really know Gohda is sort of a grandstander, and is keenly unaware of Krauss and Natsuhi's various personal issues. So we should perhaps be careful of basing our opinions of people's personality on what Battler thinks of them, since he hasn't seen any of them for six years and could be a bad judge of character in the first place.
  • His guesses as to who is dead and how they are dead are somewhat questionable. We can't be absolutely sure people he sees as corpses are dead at any time without red. I realize that opens doors I personally would like to keep closed, but fake deaths are clearly part of Umineko and it becomes valid to question who is and isn't dead, even when right in front of Battler. Also, Battler's assumptions in ep4 as to how the heads were smashed is clearly to be taken as mere speculation; there's no way he can know how that was done, and I am suspicious that it would be a gun of some sort (I think it's probably not, that is).
  • Battler is quick to assume the existence of puzzles, closed rooms, and so forth, then attempt to resolve them. He is immediately trusting of the concept of a closed room mystery, without stopping to consider whether the rooms are actually closed in the first place. It's also very difficult for him to assume a scenario constructed by a lie.
  • Taking from that, as we all know, Battler is far too trusting and compassionate. While this makes him an admirable person, it makes him a terrible detective. It requires immense legwork for him to suggest a theory involving someone utilizing deception to mislead other people or Battler himself. But we know this has to be happening at some point, and is probably happening a lot.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote