View Single Post
Old 2011-01-06, 12:25   Link #21318
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
You grossly overstate the value of my time. I don't know what Jan-Poo's excuse is though.
I guess after so much time some people might have forgotten how were things before chiru. The situation was a lot different back then.

Ryuukishi created something unique. Yeah, certainly, you can find many of his ideas in several previous works, but he was the one who managed to put them together and he created a system that allowed the readers to discuss about this story through a very long span of time.
He was also able to create a sort of feedback author-reader that I don't remember seeing in any other work of this kind. He basically adapted his story on the readers' responses and theories.

The idea of the red truth was probably what I found particularly fascinating. Ryuukishi has been a master in presenting you closed room scenarios, guiding you through a set of plausible explanations and then denying them in the most abrupt and dramatic way leaving you completely mindfucked.

I remember myself grinding my teeth and then shouting: "this is impossible! How the hell the culprit did it if you deny all of this stuff! It can't be!"

It was a thrilling experience.

But it was so only because I had the certainty and faith that a brilliant and ingenious solution existed. My reaction would have been completely different otherwise.

The red truths were also an incredibly funny tool to use during discussions in this forum. The red truths allowed this to be a game.
A game needs rules, if there aren't rules you don't have a game. We had very few rules, we had very simple rules, but they allowed for a very fun game: The red truth is simply the truth, Battler's perspective is reliable.

I remember how I enjoyed that game. I was addicted. That's why I've spent so much time on this forum.

But then something changed. Chronotrig can confirm that after EP6 I lamented the fact that "the game" didn't exist anymore. There were simply no rules anymore, it was anarchy, and without rules you can't have a game.

The red truths became almost meaningless and the discussions could never reach a satisfying conclusion anymore. In the end if one wanted, he could argue that there was some kind of loophole that allowed his theory to be correct no matter how much preposterous it was.

We don't know.
We can't know.
We can't be sure.
You can't deny it.

So what exactly are we discussing about? if it's about how you enjoyed the story that can be done in like a week tops, there's really no need to go on indefinitely. And honestly I don't really care about that. Not because I don't care about a good story, but because I don't care about listening to other people's impressions.

You hated? You liked it? Big deal! That doesn't really affect my opinion. And I've been in forums long enough to know that you'll always find haters and fanboys in every human work.

De gustibus non disputandum est

Ancient roman wisdom, and they were damn right; so you can pull me out of any discussion of that kind.

I think my activity in this forum went downhill from EP6 onward (apart from the initial shkanon struggles), because there was simply no much point in discussing theories anymore.

And now... it feels like there wasn't a point to begin with. You can choose whatever theory suits you better and believe it's the truth. But of course for that, you don't really need a forum.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote