View Single Post
Old 2004-03-12, 20:15   Link #14
Nevion
/dev/random

Quote:
My computer has been pretty slow, and I'm wondering how to speed things up. I'm on a PIII 800MHz with 512MB DDR RAM and an NVidia GeForce graphics card. I haven't installed any drivers or anything myself, so I'm wondering if I do that (especially for my graphic card) should I see a performance increase? In particular the games go WAYYYY slow.
xwindows is using the nv driver it comes with which does not use hardware accel. You must download the i32 or something like that drivers by nvidia at nvidias website. As I already mentioned on another thread the best nvidia drivers right now are 4620 so google for it. This should considerably speed things up and lower cpu usage.

and to be ontopic agian!

gthumb- thumbnail viewer but generally I use it as something comparible to acdsee or something like that.
abiword - all purpose document editor, comparible to ms word but it ofcourse doesn't have such an extensive spelling correction system so learn to spell better : )(on a side note, my professors latest .doc's don't work anymore thus ms has done something to make them incompatible yet agian >_> but anyone can view a doc made in abiword)

bluefish - I'm still lost on what it has for capabilties but its an advanced html editor although it works also for a good text editor.. but when I say advanced, its advanced XD

bash - >:|
python - all purpose calculator and everything else thats a pain to do in a shell in interpritor mode
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote