View Single Post
Old 2008-05-07, 12:05   Link #1
pichu
*Fansubber

[Fansubbers] Introduce yourself

I would like to get to know about fansubbers lurking and posting in animesuki and in this forum. I'm here to learn from fellow fansubbers. And, try not to post anything to comment on any of the introductions posted here. Reply them as a private message. The point of this thread is to get to know with fellow fansubbers lurking in anime-suki. I am not sure if this type of thread was posted in Anime-Suki--but if it's not, I am surprised why this wasn't posted. I think there's a similar thread, but that thread, I think, only questions about why are you into fansubbing; so the target is everyone--I am more curious about fansubbers.

Here's a guideline what you can write in your post. You don't have to answer all of my questions. But this is just out of curiosity.
  1. Personality
    1. Describe about yourself
    2. Do tell what you disgusted the most in fansubbing?
    3. Do tell any attributes you like about fansubbing?
    4. What are your aliases or nicknames you've used in fansubbing?
  2. Mission
    1. Why do you fansub in the first place?
    2. Why do you continue fansubbing?
    3. When are you into fansubbing?
    4. When do you start fansubbing?
    5. Define fansub or state the mission of the fansub
  3. Groups
    1. List your current group(s) and your position/job in that group(s)
    2. List the Group(s) you've worked with now
    3. List the Group(s) you've worked with in the past
    4. Do you freelance?
  4. Projects
    1. What kind of series (genre) do you enjoy working on?
    2. Do you work on any series that you don't like? If so, why working on them?
  5. Founder: Only if you start at least one group
    1. Do tell why do you start a group?
    2. If the group collapsed or is going to collapse, explain what was the reason of its collapse.
    3. If the group is still functioning but is stalling, explain what was the cause of this
    4. If the group is functioning very well, do tell about why it is successful and what did you do to make it successful.
  6. Jobs
    1. What are your current fansubbing jobs
    2. Which fansubbing jobs can you do
    3. What are your favorite fansubbing jobs
    4. Make a definition of the job you can do or your current fansubbing job briefly.
  7. Other Plans
    1. When are you planning to retire/quit from fansubbing?
    2. Are you planning to train other novice fansubbers so that they'll be just as good as you are?
    3. Are you going to document everything what you did so that other people can get to know how to fansub better?

-------------
My Profile
-------------

I am known as pichu/pichus in fansub projects. Right now, I am basically an After-Effects typesetter and is still trying to understand how to perfect some of the most difficult "signs." To me, perfecting signs typesetting is a challenge and fun rather than something feasible; I find it fun to make them rather than making them just to watch. That's my mission. I started typesetting in the mid-2004. I picked up using After-Effects about two years ago, so I am quite new in After-Effects, but I am constantly discovering many techniques for typesetting. Refer to my typesetting thread for my definition of typesetting.

I despise show-offs or people who tried to trash other people's work for fun. I am probably the same, but I'd prefer to show people my failed work so that they can comment on how I can improve them.

Watching fansubs, to me, is to understand what the episodes are talking about. I don't mind about minor English errors or minor typesetting/video problems as long as they don't hurt my eyes that much and as long as I can understand without rewording the subs in my head. However, working on fansub is completely different; I find it necessary to perfect them, even though as a viewer, I don't mind about flaws.

The current groups I'm working with are Froth-Bite, Static-Subs, and Menclave. The groups I freelance for include Ureshii for some loli series. The slower groups I helped with include Lolidan for Moetan. The past groups I helped include Huzzah for Bamboo Blade, Megami-Anime, etc. I've been a typesetter (logo designer, credits typesetter, subs styler, and signs typesetter) in all. I started watching fansubs only in 2002, and I was dragged into fansubbing by some founder from Freedom-Anime in 2003. Then, I got addicted to fansubbing since then.

I helped re-founding Freedom-Anime (it was actually my first group in 2003--and since I wasn't active at all, I didn't join any other groups and projects until much later) back in 2004 because I hate to let a group die, and we did the first two episodes of Mahou Sensei Negima. The project died because of lack of interests. I later helped founding Ryoumi because I've wanted to found groups, and it died because the projects got overloaded and most of the staff lost their interests. After Ryoumi got disbanded, I made promise to people that another group will be formed. Since I hate breaking promises, I helped founding the FTW group and released two episodes of iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia; it was our first attempt to do everything in After-Effects including subtitles. The project and group died because doing everything in AFX took too long and that after starting to work on the series, we were told that the project is 26 episodes instead of 13 episodes. Then, I've decided to just help with other groups instead of founding groups since leadership is something I can't handle. ;p

Right now, I can do karaoke in After-Effects, logo/credits/signs typesetting, subs styling (I'd rather not to), subs and karaoke timing, encoding, and translating from chinese subs (again, I'd rather not to). Current projects I'm working on are Oinari for Static-Subs and Toshokan Sensou for Menclave. I'm the main typesetter for both series.

I love loli series for the cuteness of little girls. I also like somewhat a different type of series--anime with some actions. Most of the projects--if not all--I am working on are those that I am assigned to work on, as I am doing them as favors. I don't really have any real preference as long as I can have some fun working on them.

When am I going to retire? I'm not sure about that myself; I keep on telling me that it's about time to retire--after all, it's been almost five years; but projects and my fellow fansubbers tell me otherwise. In the meantime, I am willing to contribute my discoveries in After-Effects typesetting techniques to prospective typesetters so that they can easily perfect the signs. However, I haven't found anyone with that mind to do this way. Hence, I am still searching for compatible trainees.

----------------------------------

And, finally, I would like to greet you.

Last edited by pichu; 2008-05-07 at 12:15.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote