View Single Post
Old 2009-05-20, 14:30   Link #18
4Tran

The answers to my questions don't seem to have any spoilers, so I'm going to drop the spoiler tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
No details are given for the Imperial military. For Gallia...

80,000 ground units
10,000 marine units
2,000 military police units
Interesting; that'd be about 4 divisions or so. Are the figures for before or after calling up the Militia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
1) Funnily enough, the game implies that even though the Imperials have a massive standing army... they're actually the technologically superior force rather than the numerically superior force. Their tanks, weapons, training methods, etc, are all leaps and bounds ahead of the Federation.

The Federation on the other hand relies primarily on numbers and quickly churning out massive numbers of tanks and weapons thanks to their better industry and commerce capabilities, but overall they're somewhat like Soviet Russia during WW2 without the T-34 and more money.
Ah, but are the Imperials reminiscent of the Red Army in 1939, or 1941, or 1942-3, or 1944-5? There's a world of difference between them.

Quote:
As for the size of the force sent to Gallia, I would suggest that it isn't too large. Maybe 100,000 to 300,000 soldiers tops? (Though Selvaria counts as a few thousand soldiers all by herself as episode 8 will likely show.) The Empire wants it for the ragnite, or at least to keep it out of the clutches of the Federation, but overall its not exceedingly valuable. Hence why an Imperial Prince out of favour was sent there. Except that Max volunteered...
This makes a lot of sense to me. Even if this theatre is considered a side show, it's not too uncommon to send an influential but inexperienced person there. It can be considered a way to "blood" a prince without too much risk. A useful parallel is Napoleon sending his brother to take charge of Spain in the 19th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Well this is most likely due to the reason that the Imperials are consolidated in Ghirlandaio fortress. It's also probably because the Imperials are defeating the Gallians all the time that Maxie boy's confident when they later invaded Gallian soil.
Quote:
2) Exactly as you said, except the Militia originally comprised of volunteers rather than conscripts. As the war goes on in the game you read newspaper articles about various stages of conscription however.
That doesn't make any sense. How can a country be faced with invasion against a superior foe who is quite successful and still be content to resort to volunteer forces. Such a conflict can only go two ways - if the invasion is broadly successful, then Gallia should be in a panic, trying to muster as many soldiers in the field as possible. This obviously hasn't happened, and the Gallian military is actually quite lacksidasical - which would mean that all of the Imperial attacks have stalled or have been sent into retreat. This would seem to be the case except that the narrative would have to be that Maximillian is an incapable commander.

Quote:
Technically I believe the Militia are meant to be put under the command of Regulars officers like Captain Varrot and then incorporated fully into the Gallian army. The reality is that Damon goes for segregation, hence why things seem clunky. As further evidence of said segregation, the reality is that Captain Varrot is ex-Europa War 1 Militia who stayed on after said war, and thus likely why she was put in charge.
If there was such a strong current of segregation, then how do the Regulars replenish their losses?