Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-09, 22:28   Link #1527
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
Why, Of course? o.O
Partly because it's to be expected that there would be people who did not date in high school, but more so because this is an anime discussion forum. In America (そして日本でも、だと思う) anime fans tend to be social outcasts, somewhat ostracized for their unusual interests and possibly for social awkwardness. Anime fans are in stark contrast to the types of people who would date early and date heavily, who by comparison tend to be very social and well-connected.

It's just a stereotype, but in many ways there is a certain truth to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpersonality View Post
I think society, from my American point of view, is pressing for sex, and casual sex at that, and marketing it to younger people. I think that there's a very bad thing going on where people think it's okay to just go around having sex with everyone. I'm not saying that that's not fun, I wouldn't know but I'm sure some people think it is, but I guess I just miss the more traditional values :/
It's hard to say whether society has been more sexualized or not. Pop culture seems to tend toward it.

However, I've spoken with people who grew up in the 1960's and the view is rather different. To (some of) them, society now is very restrictive and up-tight. According to them, back then you could sleep with anyone and have a good time; these days, everyone is worrying about HIV and other sexually-transmitted diseases. So perhaps it's all relative.