View Single Post
Old 2013-02-27, 13:40   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That may be true of the United States, but I'm having a hard time seeing this apply to anime. Of the real hard-core space exploration shows, there may have been only a few in the last several years (Space Brothers, Moonlight Mile, Rocket Girls, Planetes), but they don't seem all that common historically either.
Much of the conflict in many of the Gundam shows revolved around those who stayed on Earth being at odds with those who lived "in the stars" (i.e. who colonized other worlds and/or built vast artificial environments to live in within outer space).

There hasn't been as much of that in recent years. I think this reflects how colonizing outer space and "living in the stars" no longer captures the imagination of people as much as it used to.

Quote:
Mecha shows are basically the Japanese equivalent of superhero shows/comics.
Really? I always thought that Super Sentai heroes, and big shounen shows like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, were the Japanese equivalent of superhero shows/comics. Goku being the anime/Japanese equivalent of Superman is a concept commonly held by fans of both anime and superhero comics.

Quote:
Your diagnosis may be a bit premature. There are three new (and original!) mecha shows airing this Spring, and there are actually quite a few currently airing (for a given defintion of "airing" and "mecha show" .
Which mecha shows are currently airing?

But yes, it'll be interesting to see if the upcoming Spring mecha shows can turn the genre around.

Still, there certainly hasn't been a mecha show on the level of Code Geass since Code Geass itself.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the American scientific pessimism is due to the perceived failure of NASA and the space shuttle. Manned space exploration has always been the sexiest image of scientific endeavors, and as such has been the primary seller of science fiction and futurism to the general public.
That's probably a factor yeah.