View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 14:34   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

lol - so, in this episode Kazuto enters the world of Alfheim Online, which is basically a modified copy of SAO run by RCT (run by you know who...), but there's one huge bug/exploit: Any player from SAO who logs in with the same NerveGear gets to keep all of the skill points from the previous game, giving them a massive advantage. And so that's why, even as a n00b, Kirito is able to be "h4x" out of the gate. As he says in the episode, he really is a cheater this time. I suppose they never actually tested this scenario, considering I'm guessing most of the SAO players aren't really interested in playing any more Virtual MMOs for the time being -- except, of course, Kirito.

(Oh yeah, and in this game, it's okay to die, and you can logout. Thanks goodness... )

I suppose the reappearance of Yui also points to the odd correlation between the NerveGear (client) and the game -- it seems all the items are stored in the NerveGear memory, but just interpreted by the game. (That seems initially like an odd way of doing it, but it would be faster, plus I suppose they don't expect anyone to be able to hack into their own NerveGear while they're in the MMO world.) That would explain why Yui's Heart was represented by an item in SAO. Here, she respawns, but the system considers her a Navigation Pixie, so she takes that form (presumably to avoid detection by this game's version of Cardinal).

Anyway, thanks to the unique advantage Kirito has, it seems like he'll be able to level up really quickly, which is necessary if he wants save Asuna before the week is done. So it's definitely a plot hack, but probably a necessary one, and it does raise some interesting points about how this "rip-off game" was created, and just how it's related to SAO. (One thing they didn't say is *when* this game was created. If Asuna moved there right after SAO ended, does that mean the game was launched before hand? They also say that the version of Cardinal they're running is a bit out-of-date, but does that mean the copy was made even before SAO launched, or just that Cardinal evolved by the end of SAO? Anyway these are all rhetorical questions, and I'm not asking for novel answers -- I'm sure we'll get our answers in time.)

Edit: Oh, and I should also say we met Lyfa in the game. They alluded to the fact that, in this game, "PKing is encouraged", so it seems like the races are in competition or at war with each other (sort of like Horde vs. Alliance in WoW?). But Lyfa and her friend were kind of severely outnumbered -- perhaps they stumbled into enemy territory. The also talked about a "death penalty" -- you must get respawned somewhere and probably take some sort of hit on your stats or equipment. Hopefully it's not as steep as the death penalty in FFXI -- levelling down was horrible!

Edit 2: Oh. If Kirito kept all his skills when he moved to this game, then I suppose that means that Asuna kept all of her skills too, along with the rest of the 300 who got transferred over. Not that I suppose it might help them at the moment if they're all trapped the way Asuna is, but if they manage to get free...