View Single Post
Old 2007-12-01, 20:17   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
So it looks like it isn't wise either to build on a table while standing on a carpet ground. In this case, it looks like I'll either have to invade the kitchen or the restroom... What about anti-static glove btw? Actually, it sounds inconvenient. As for touching metal before working, does that include kitchenware and things that usually zap me like door nob? Also, grey_moon, what do you mean by "grounding myself via a power socket"?
I've never had a component fail on me because I was working on my computer in a carpeted area. However, I'm always using an Anti-static Wrist Wrap. It gives you freedom of movement and is known to help preventing static discharges.

Quote:
@hobbes_fan: Thank you very much for the information regarding 32-bit operating system can only put to use 3gb of ram. I think I'll either go with 2gb or 3gb. I don't know how to achieve the latter, however, since I only see 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb on newegg. Do I go get a 1 gb and a 2gb?
If you want 3GB, then yes. You can achieve this by either 3 1GB sticks or one 2GB stick and one 1GB stick. However, 2GB sticks tend to be priced much higher than 1GB ones, since they're the "top" of the line at the moment. If you want to go past that, you'll need a 64-Bit OS and a 64-bit Processor - which there's a %99.5 chance that you'll get one, seeing as you're going with recent Dual Cores in mind. If I'm not mistaken, 64-bit processing can have way over a trillion gigs of memory Anyway.

Quote:
Regarding looking for components on newegg, it looks like there are a lot of stuffs on there. Usually how would you all keep track of them? Do you use a spreadsheet (have never really used it before) or something alike to do that?
I'd build a computer and save it into a separate wishlist. Then I'd build another and save it on another wish list. Or you could add each component (GPU, CPU, HD, etc) into a different wishlist and pick from each of those as you go. Considering you want to go the Linux way, why even pay much for a video card anyway? I'm not sure how Gaming goes when it comes to Linux, but seeing as it's definitely not DX10 compatible, you should probably get a good Video Card that's 1 or 2 gens behind. A 7800 or X1600 could probably do the trick for you.

And yes, forget AGP. PCIE 2.0 is coming out with the newest MOBOs and GPUs anyway. PCIE still packs a punch, though.

Quote:
Hmmm... there's actually a standard guideline of what a person should get depend on the specific price range? O.o
No, but you should keep in mind that your computer will only be as fast as its slowest component. ( A dramatization, but come on, it was a nice analogy wasn't it? ). Depending on the application, having a fast CPU is more important than having a lot of RAM. In other applications it's exactly the contraty, and when GPU speeds and HD writing speeds, cache and all of that crap get into play, things get quite confusing. Getting a fast Memory and a slow CPU will create bottlenecking, and it happens with all sorts of components either.

What I think problemedchild meant with that is that, the way things are right now between Intel and AMD is that Intel is the performance choice of the market, while AMD is the one that holds the better price. You won't find a C2D processor under 140 bucks under normal circumstances, but you will find AMD 64 X2s for sale, and some fairly good ones under that price range.

Edit:

A nice little guide on 64-bit technology, and at the bottom, he explains why you can't have exactly 4 Gigs of ram even if x86 processors support it. Pretty interesting stuff.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote