View Single Post
Old 2008-04-28, 17:51   Link #136
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
There are many other MMORPGs with combo-attack battle being developed in Korea right now. Some are already released. Korea is the leader in MMOs, and everyone else is a generation behind, since it takes them years to get their old games over here while they're making the next best thing.
I had a huge reply typed up for a few posts back and then my system shut off due to low battery

Rusty Hearts looks very neat and I agree that it has a Devil May Cry feel to it, but I think it'd get boring very quickly. Consider this: how much time have you spent playing Devil May Cry as opposed to a standard RPG? The game lengths are different, but even counting replay on DMC due to difficulty settings and fun factor the average RPG is well ahead. And when I compare my hours logged on an average RPG to hours logged on Ultima Online (old-school MMORPG), there's no contest: I easily put 10 to 12 times the number of hours into Ultima Online. Ah, I had a lot of free time back then...

When I look at modern MMORPGs, I feel like the focus has changed. They're fun for a while, but they're incredibly limited. Some Korean MMO companies seem to produce games like crazy (I'm specifically thinking of Gung Ho) - it's as if they know that people will play for a few months and then switch to something new.

Ultima Online was a completely immersive experience. Dungeons were places in the world where monsters spawned (and they looked dungeon-y), but they were a regular part of the world - you could run in and run to the end and then run back out, unless a monster beat you down. Quests were run by real game masters. You could cook, buy a house, make/join a guild... my personal favorite activity was to explore the vast world, taming animals and monsters. When I made enough money from selling what I'd tamed to other players, I bought a boat and explored islands. Still others got into blacksmithing (crafting armor and weapons, among other things); this required different types of ore, which had to be mined. Certain parts of the world yielded rare ores more often, but your character also had to have enough mining skill to get them in good quantities and smelt them properly. It was too addictive - I won't ever play an MMORPG like that again.

I compare that with newer MMORPGs and it's totally different. For example, I played Yogurting for a bit (mostly to practice Japanese) and it was extremely limited. The main world consisted of two school campuses and a sewer (dungeon-type level) that connected them. The main world was essentially a big 3D chatroom. There were "portals" scattered around the world that contained missions/levels, and in there the goal was almost always to beat up all the monsters. There were a few boss missions to keep it interesting, but otherwise that was it. No specialized weapon classes (there were different weapon types, but you could use any of them without penalty), no ability to make anything yourself. It's a gross oversimplication of the game, but it doesn't diminish my point. I've seen people play World of Warcraft and sort of got the feeling that it was somewhat similar, although WoW was a bit more immersive.