View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 13:55   Link #9976
KnowThatFeel

Question Futuristic Race, Short anime episode or film

About ten years ago, I saw this short anime film about a future race where the protagonist uses his mind to destroy the other racers...

Story:
This is a short anime film (~10 minutes), but it could’ve been a series (doubt it).

This guy is racing in some futuristic race arena that twists and turns throughout the city (F-Zero-esque, but after viewing a few episodes of that, I didn't see the answer there).

The protagonist is under a lot of pressure as he races, and there's memorable zoom-ups of his face. He's concentrating, and straining, and then one of the racers' car goes off-track--as if by accident. Throughout the short film, as someone passes him (or as he’s trying to pass someone), the violence escalates—eventually, he’s blowing up their cars and/or bodies with his mind.

At the end, he's 'won', but he's killed all the other racers. I think he self-destructs in the end too--screaming in fury as he zooms past the finish line.

Style:
It looked a bit 80ish, but I don't think it was that old. It's definitely not all CGI and that jazz. (Seemed) hand-drawn and dark...

Time:
Last seent 10 years ago...

ThatFeel:
It still sticks. Hopefully, someone knows what this short film/series(?) was called. The feeling of intensity then emptiness (in a good way) still stuns me--after recalling the ending of that film.

For some reason Animatrix comes to mind, but after scanning it, I didn't see it. It might be some F-Zero episode… but the main character self-destructs and the others racers all die… and he didn’t look at all like Captain Falcon… and the ending was abrupt.

It didn't seem to be the kind of film/series that had a cast of regular characters because in the end there was no group saying, "oh gee, that's terrible." The protagonist dies, film ends.

(edit: And yes, I searched the fora here and the internets, but to no avail).

Good luck!

Last edited by KnowThatFeel; 2012-11-10 at 14:05.
KnowThatFeel is offline   Reply With Quote