View Single Post
Old 2006-12-27, 18:00   Link #272
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
The PS3 will see a drop in price. It happens to every console. I sincerely doubt we'll see a price drop before a minimum of one year. That's bare minimum, and very optimistic. Two years is more reasonable.

I'm also severely skeptical that the PS3 will have a life span longer than previous consoles. Second-guessing technology almost never succeeds. In 4-5 years when we see consoles with graphics on par or better than the PS3's, with standard controllers like the Wii's, and a price point significantly lower, Sony won't sit content with the belief that the market will stay with the PS3.
the funny thing about that second guessing tech... is that you got second guess no matter what, for both supporting and attacking the PS3...

Well, i gotta disagree with somethings here, like where we may or may not be in the next 4-5 years... For one thing, the 360 is only about 4-5 years older than the xbox, it's graphically more powerful but it costs about $100 more... if this trend continues, then in 4-5 years, just to make a more graphically more powerful system will cost about $500... another thing to take into account is blueray/hddvd; if one of those starts to become mainstream, even for game developers, than the next xbox may have an added $100-$200 cost... in other words, the next xbox will more than likely cost as much if not more than want the PS3 currently costs... ofcourse by then the PS3 will probably have experienced a few price drops... So really, in 4-5 years, the ps3 will be competing against an xbox that is graphically stronger, more expensive and has no game library other than whats on the the 360...

Ps3 will have even more advantage if blueray/hddvd go mainstream... since the ps3 already supports blueray, it only needs to worry about graphics... the ps3 has some high graphical strength as it is, and even if, in 4-5 years, the next Xbox is even stronger graphically, i can't help but feel that the new graphical strength will not be big enough to stop the PS3 (really, how much graphically stronger can the next system really be?)... If the graphical power of isn't big enough, the Ps3 might be able to coast through and suvive the next generation(4-5 years form now) long enough so that it may not bcome out of date till the next, next generation, in about 10 years from now... This could be what Sony has been thinking, since i recall them boasting that the PS3 would have a life span of 10 years before it became out of date

however, blueray was still a bit of gamble... if blueray flops, and HDdvd becomes the overall excepted medium, by game developers and the movie industry alike... it may cause some serious damage to the PS3 in the long run... bascially forceing sony to come up with a new system, not out of needed to make something more power, but to make something supports HDdvd instead of blueray... though if Sony could somehow may an hddvd attachment, kinda like what the 360 did, that could used for both games and movies, the ps3 might be able to save itself...

grant it, this is all second guessing tech... so it may not pan out this way
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote