View Single Post
Old 2012-03-18, 23:38   Link #7
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I'm voting for 10/10 but truthfully if I'm an actual critic it actually wouldn't get this high.

Animation Quality: 10

This season is definitely better in terms of animation than Bake. Shaft clearly have the money this time to support the series. There were less cuts and the scene flowed better too. The fact that Araragi's house has a freaking Catholic church in his bathroom shows that the animators have a lot of resource to spend.

Voice Actors: 10

There are two things I can always count on with Shaft and one of them is choice of voice actors. There is never an instance where I doubted the choices they made in this department. Before the series started there was this huge debate whether or not Aya Hirano was going to get the part of Shinobu. In the end Maaya Sakamoto got the part and it was clearly the correct choice. Hiroshi Kamiya also did a great job at reprising Araragi. The dude just simply has the talent to play characters that retort, what can I say.

Script: 10

Truthfully, this is the part that I would take points off if I had the heart to do it. This time around I simply do not agree with the episode distribution and choice on season length. Nise in my opinion is a 13 episode series. It would have been nice if Nise 1 had more stuff included in it but it was tolerable at least. Nise 2 on the other hand simply took out way too much. I agree that the toothbrush needed to have one episode for itself but the other three didn't have any of the scenes I expected to see. These scenes aren't just filler scenes but actual ones that are important to the series as a whole. I'm expecting these scenes to be added to the Blu-ray Shaft, I have my eyes on you with this one.

Soundtrack: 10
The other thing that I can count Shaft on is sound and music. They simply don't fuck around with this department. I guess it really does have to do with the fact that if animation is gonna take a hit then at least use music to back it up. This time however both animation and music is there so it's even better. The ED wasn't as good as the Bake's but I guess they wanted to use ClariS's twin image for the Fire Sisters and also because they had success with them during Madoka. The OPs were simply amazing. Meg Rock knows her music and the seiyus' got the stuff to back it up as well.

Editing: 10

The editing was pretty decent all around. However I couldn't help but feel Shaft started to get lazy during the last half of the series.

Enjoyment: 10

I enjoyed it for the most part and now the only thing left is pray for extra scenes in the Blu-ray.

Emotional Involvement: 10

I have to say I was really scared when they announced this was going to be animated. The bath scene with Shinobu and the toothbrush scene were both quite saucey and I didn't know if they were going to censor it. With this in mind my emotions hit the roof when I saw both scenes' full glory. The incest in the series also had my heart pounding as well.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote