Thread: Jin Kobayashi
View Single Post
Old 2010-08-26, 23:44   Link #226
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I agree specially with the example you gave. But for most of the series Tenma served as a pesonified reset button and I think the hate originates from there.
I can't disagree with you there. And if I was honest with myself, when I first watched SR, I didn't like Tenma. Like you said, she seemed shallow. But as the show (and manga) went on, I guess I couldn't help but like her character. One of the few anime characters ever where I've gone from dislike to like.

Quote:
You know, I used true love for a reason.
I don't see how onesided or not makes a big differences here. By the end of the series they are very close, so lack of knowing each other isn't my argument. The way Harima's 'love' for Tenma was portrayed - it just wasn't believable for me. We do see the moment he falls for her, but we never see him going beyond that feeling he stubbornly insisted from then on. He never goes "Oh that's why I fell for her, she's such a nice person" or anything similar genuinely.
I guess my only counter to this is that you could say the same thing about most if not all the relationships built up in SR. Yakumo and Eri's feelings can't quite be called true love either yea? Especially Eri, who in certain respects mirrors Harima's obsessiveness in her pursuit of Harima.

I guess part of what I like about the show (and is unique to it too), is that it doesn't force the 'true love' mentality on the viewers. People develop feelings, develop relationships and have break-ups simply because someone likes someone.

Quote:
I'm not claiming I must be right and you wrong - I just interpret it differently :3
Haha, I think I've had a 'convo/debate' with you about something else in SR (perhaps it was even in this thread), and we do seem to look at things slightly differently at times. Which is ok by me, I like talking about shows I adore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

Gotta agree with this, but Max is the only guy worthy of the development, he's the one that defeated Harima. Too bad they didn't animate the epic punch fight. This goes to show never go toe toe with an enraged Harima, even Karasuma lost.
I agree too. I always somewhat disliked the Kyoto arc, probably because it introduced characters with no background suddenly appearing as semi-main characters. I always tend to dislike or at least not enjoy the arcs where new people are introduced suddenly as lead characters for the arc. Like the Kyoto arc, the basketball arc and when class 2-D first make their appearance.

I prefer the way characters like Asou, Sara, Imadori and Karen were introduced. First as side-characters that then had a few focus episodes. But I'll admit that is my personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Overall as a long time SR fan, I want a New School Rumble with new characters for a fresh new start form KJ.
I dunno, it would hurt me so much to see the old characters return as side characters. Watching NNA, with just simple SR cameos, already slightly hurts me

Honokawa Action supposedly has relation to SR, so if that comes true, maybe you will get a bit of your wish.

Quote:
Again interpretation. I don't see any sign of him knowing. And if he does the more I don't like the way he behaves towards her. Don't forget he just leaves without a word in the end. I just think he's that dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
really?!
Forgotten about that scene >.< and it's the first time I hear that Harima probably know that Yakumo wanted to confess! That gives me a total different view about this!!!
Whoa, now I'm worried. I've talked to a friend before about this point, and he too doesn't remember anything of the sort. I put it up in my argument as a sorta test to you guys to see if any of you felt the same. So...yea I'm a bit worried now.

Admittedly, I only read the manga section from where the 2nd season ended until the manga end once. Mainly because the files are all jumbled up and I hate having to go through numerous folders to check which chapter I'm supposed to read next. But when I read the Yakumo confession scene, I solidly remember coming away thinking that yes, Harima knew.

I think though that it was Yakumo who states this, not Harima himself. She more or less believed that Harima knew what she asked, but made the joke gag to not hurt her. I know you could argue Yakumo wouldn't know for sure, but I do think that was the point JK wanted to get across.

Perhaps I should re-check that scene. I just hate reading the manga, knowing those parts will never get animated, and that, well, SR eventually ends. Heck I'm struggling through the latest official english volume because although I know I could blow through it in one day, it still saddens me. Plus it'll take ages for the next volume to be released. At least I know the official volumes will be in order.