View Single Post
Old 2009-03-05, 04:39   Link #40
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, TA to me wasn't nearly as crippling as Planetarian due to the actual scope of the discussion regarding humanity through the piece. Post-apocalyptic world is not uncommon in fiction, but by nuclear holocaust makes Planetarian slightly taboo to the Japanese mind. Whereas TA feels like a more constrained piece of interpersonal malodrama focused on Tomoya and Tomoyo, Planetarian speaks volume on the very contradiction of beauty and the unsightly nature to humanity.

I do think that Tomoyo After should be a mini-series in its own right instead of 60 minute length too. I wonder if KyoAni is only going to focus on the principal path then...

Looking back on why Planetarian made more impression to me, the (lack of) silver lining from a world already ablazed and people made broken, coupled with a bitter aftertaste of space-age naiveté, followed with the definition of humanity itself and completed with that neverending dream of reaching for the stars sealed the deal for me. (why does it feel as if I am writing about Fallout 3...?)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori