View Single Post
Old 2009-04-20, 09:50   Link #37
Viperseven

Linux Ubuntu: Hardy heron and above

As this only has Windows XP I tough it would be nice to mention some ways to run Japanese games on Linux.

1. Install Wine (Program that enables you to play many windows programs in Linux enviroment) It should be available in Package manager.

2. Go to system->Administration->Languages selection and find Japanese and check it.
There should already be the languages you have chosen with your Linux installation and english checked so this just adds japanese character support for your system trough installation. Root password requared!

3. Install the game, or copy paste the game folder to place of your choice (for example if you have umineko installed on your windows computer you can copy the whole game folder and move it to your linux system and it will work. Probably doesnt work in all games but worth the try if you cant run installer trough wine)

4. Use terminal and navigate to your games folder and run wine in Japanese mode:

Umineko4 with WH language patch for example:
$ cd Umineko4
$ cd "[WH] Umineko English"
$ LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine onscripter-en.exe

Note that many Visual novels are made for windows enviroment and wine can't probably all of them.

Probably works similary in many of the linux distributions.

Had some problems running Umineko no naku Koro NI on my system so I tough id share my findings to ease things for others with similar problems now and in the future. This one worked for my and I hope it works for any 1 else with similar problems.
Viperseven is offline   Reply With Quote