Thread: Licensed Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-15, 06:18   Link #319
Sol Falling

lol, er, this is pretty slow I guess, seeing there've been three posts since my previous one, but regardless...

(I agree about Misaki looking quite good as a guy btw. Her anime design is actually a fair bit more attractive than the manga's. A nice surprise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for the episode itself.... FFFFFF yeah! Misaki looks 100x more moe with those glasses on lol.

And a new rival! Even though I dislike those type of characters, I must say, I already feel more for the other school's seitokaichou in half an episode than I do of Usui in 7. I think I'll give up on feeling for Usui now, as I don't even know if they intend to expand his character.
At this rate, I guess it might indeed be a while before you feel for Usui. And indeed, as the osana-najimi shipper, this might be a poor match to your tastes in general. I do think the anime has done a poor job of conveying some of Usui's character effectively however, so perhaps he might indeed come around for you.

(As for really expanding into Usui's background and history, though, you're unfortunately unlikely to find that in the anime. The manga hasn't even gotten to that until fairly recently, so the material is almost certainly too far ahead to fit into a 2-cour series.)

(On the other hand, we do have two kinda sorta minor clues already: one, Usui is awesome at cooking, and two, Usui can kick pretty ridiculous ass at chess. These two things are actually slightly more significant beyond Usui's generic perfect skillz at sports and academia.)

One thing I've noticed the anime is doing a lot with Usui, in terms of characterization, is focusing on him watching Misaki's reactions and sometimes giving out a bland "huh" (lol) in response to them. I think their intention is to try to show how much careful attention Usui is paying to her, basically emphasizing what a great and considerate prospective lover he is lol. I think though, as far as attractiveness goes, it comes off as totally pointless and lame--which would be, like, the complete opposite of what Usui actually is :P. Aside from little minor things like Usui's interest in cooking, I don't think you'll really get any looks into Usui's deeper feelings and personality except in rare episodes like ep. 3 and (I'll estimate--corresponding to chapter 25,) ep. 18. The rest of the time however, what Usui is supposed to embody is the 'epitome' of hawtness, awesome flirtatious self-confidence (directed like a pinpoint laser though; it's a 'Misaki special'), and overwhelming manly sexuality . In my view, at least, that's a combination that makes for some pretty great humour--and on the particular note of that last one, I think this should have been one of the things his kiss with Yukimura would have emphasized (lol): Usui's ability and fairly open willingness to dominate other males, in effect turns even other guys into quivering girls before him . In that sense, that kiss was just another indication of Usui's sheer masculinity . Of course though, in this instance Usui's real motive was a perfectly swoonworthy romantic reason: Usui saw that his confession to Misaki had overwhelmed her so much that she couldn't even do her work properly, and that she was in obvious distress and confusion. Rather than selfishly pushing Misaki to try to accept/confront/realize the attraction and/or romantic feelings she wasn't ready for, Usui instead went as far as enduring a kiss with another man to give her a distraction/excuse which put her mind at ease. This is the sort of consideration Usui actually exercises, not the bland 'I'm paying attention to you' staring shots J.C. Staff keeps constantly emphasizing :P. I dunno, I think all this stuff is way more obvious in the manga, but yeah, aside from a bit of Gary Stu-ish hyperbolic perfection at everything, I really don't believe there's anything bland or objectionable about Usui's character.

As I mentioned at the start though, I guess these things might really not be to your taste? In any case, I'm rather curious about people's actual reactions to the whole Yukimura kiss incident.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote