View Single Post
Old 2011-12-22, 17:25   Link #93
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I had the misfortune to read the Silmarillion first for a college course. I would not recommend reading it first. If you have no vested interest in the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, the Silmarilion reads like the Bible. I was bored because there was no meaning behind it for me. Some parts read very well, but read like something I'd already read or heard about from mythology or the Bible...so it didn't set the imagination going.

After having watched the Lord of the Rings films, I went back and poked thought the Silmarillion. When one has an interest in the world, it not only makes more sense, but you actually care about what is happening, and understand why it is this way...even if it still reads like the Bible (so in so begate so in so who begate so in so who killed this guy and married this elf and they....so on and so on).

I can't see if as a plausible movie. At least not one. Maybe a series of made for TV movies or something that takes people thought the different stories one at a time.