View Single Post
Old 2012-10-25, 22:47   Link #2556
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Why is this still a topic? Isn't everything cleaned up by now?
What the other people said below. Plus, y'know, this is obviously the country that provides the media we're all here for. This was their Katrina; a wound that will take quite some time to heal. Wanting to pump some tourist dollars back into their economy was the reason I'm going to Japan...tomorrow, actually. I leaving first thing tomorrow morning, and if all goes well, I should be there around 2:30 PM local time.

And as Americans (according to your coordinates, you're in Massachusetts, amirite? I used to live in Ashland when I was little.) Japan's experience may offer us a chilling image of what might be in store for the Pacific Northwest, since the same type of fault (subduction) lies offshore, and some there's archaeological evidence of a very large quake in that area in 1700, which caused a tsunami in Japan (the only way we know the date, since there were no exact chronological records in the area at that time).

That said, we certainly shouldn't treat an equally horrible disaster elsewhere besides America or Japan with any less empathy. It's a shame, for instance, that you don't hear much mention of the quake in Haiti which killed about 10 times as many as the Tohoku quake.

In conclusion, just keep your hearts open and stand on guard for whatever may come.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote