View Single Post
Old 2014-08-30, 08:17   Link #735
AntonKutovoi

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...he-same/.78125
Quote:
Yoshiyuki Tomino, the opinionated creator of the Gundam franchise recently lamented the state of anime's voice acting industry in the September issue of Bandai Visual's Beat Magazine. Fresh from casting his upcoming Gundam: Reconguista in G anime television series, Tomino said, "All of the young voice actors had been contaminated by currently trendy anime. All of their voices sounded the same to me, so the first order of business was to break them of those habits."

According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural. “But those are habits they pick up in the normal course of their careers, so it's something that often they just can't do,” Tomino said. He offered a backhanded compliment for his starring voice actress Yu Shimamura, stating he was proud in how her performance changed by episode two.
So, what's your opinion on the matter?

I think that while there's a sometimes a case of "They'll all sound the same to me" in anime nowdays, I'd say that's a problem of director, rather than a voice actors. As weird as it sounds, video games sometimes are much better in this and some voice actors might really shine there. Oh, and the fact that 70% (at least) of anime characters are practically the same doesn't help either.
So in other words, when there's some really unique anime with a good director, characters's voices are usually unique there as well.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote