View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 23:41   Link #1415
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
RE: Lost Logia

I agree with it totally, so I'll just add this on: I've speculated that the term Lost Logia came from the first "advanced" ancient civilisation the MC discovered, the Logi. They might have existed on MC, and as they pushed deeper into voidspace, they found more and more artefacts left by this grand race, and hence these items became known as Lost Logia. However, as time passed, more artefacts from other civilizations began showing up, and this term, being culturally ingrained, was expanded to include these items from the other races. I'm drawing parallels from several naming habits from Terran science, most notably human anatomy, which one body part could have up to 3 names depending on which nomenclature system was used.
As an interesting exercise, look up the word "logia", then "logos", and then consider the full term "Lost Logia".

Yes, I know that the Nanohaverse may not be using actual Greek. But still, it's a fascinating train of thought, especially when coupled with the archaeology and information-sorting of the Scryas.

(If it isn't obvious by now, I'm very interested in fictional accounts and speculations regarding information and the handling thereof, with a side of cryptography. The Infinite Library portion of the Nanohaverse is just full of potential.)

Quote:
Re: Infinite Library

That's a surprise. I never thought of the IL as stabilized voidspace, just a very very long automatic structure that no one bothered to sort, but considering how it seems to loop on and on, it might. This opens up opportunities for the Library to connect to other libraries in other universes, namely Library Island. (Yes the Library Exploration Club is soooo tempting )

Taking this idea to be true, a well placed terrorist attack on the Library will definitely have repercussions throughout Ordered Space. This is the idea your words and my extensions have given me.
I have to admit that almost everything in there is based on No Evidence Whatsoever. I want to have some sort of canon evidence, based on some logic, but it looks like the workings of the Infinite Library may be put aside in StrikerS in favour of the Big Explosions.

Having said that, the Infinite Library speculations are central to my stories, which will focus quite a bit on the structure of the IL and the information within it. I'm already taking major liberties in trying to determine who has access rights and how access is granted (both in the popular security-type sense and the more literal "where's the door?" sense), and I need to have as few contradictions with canon as possible, as well as anything that I haven't thought about yet cleared up as soon as possible.

And yes, I've been toying with the idea of a directed attack on the IL or its maintained spells. This would cause a lot of havoc if effective, possibly enough to disrupt a lot of plot threads, and I'd reason that it will not be anywhere near easy to do, since I'm sure the TSAB has enough clear thinkers to realize that the IL should be guarded like the incredibly precious and dangerous resource it is.

It's the tension between wanting an open source of information to all, and wanting security. I figure that there will be several layers of redundancy and backup for the systems, and disaster may happen if an attack goes through enough of them.

Of course, maybe I'm all wrong anyway, and this is not how the IL works.

Quote:
Re: Travel

Sounds quite like navigational Psykers ne? Not to mention such thoughts require a heckload of mana to perform, so timeships with warp drives using this principle were developed to make interdimensional travel more efficient. This meant that ships below a certain class were too small to efficiently house these drives, and hence anything below a frigate is not transdimensional. As much as I'd like Firehawk to equate a fighter from Star Wars, being able to fly from planet to planet on its own, canon shows that its not possible.
The travel part of the speculation isn't as important to my stories, but I can't really skirt around the logistics forever. Pretty much all I need to know is how quickly one can get from Point A to Point B, assuming a set amount of resources; everything else is plain curiosity.

I get the feeling that the TSAB space navy more or less serve as mobile command posts, attached to Very Big Guns.

EDIT: Anyone want to post their own speculations? I'm especially interested in seeing the ones for the Belka. Specifically, what the religion of the Church entails.

EDIT THE SECOND: Random thought: Infinite Library Space is Virtual Space.

Run with it.